Teak wood work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithmilton

Veteran Member
We want to convert our double to an island queen. Any idea how the desk etc is attached to closet and walls and how to separate them as a unit to be moved to another area?

Perhaps adding the type of boat and a photo or two might aid your quest? Second post - welcome!

teak wood work

it was suggested that a picture and boat type would help discussion
so here goes
she is a 1977 40 foot Ocean Alexander
lots of teak that we would like to retain
idea though is to get rid of the combination washer and dryer so that we can move the bed to starboard and make it a walk around queen
the concern mostly is how to get the cabinetry separated so it can be moved around
here is a picture I hope
thanks
Keith

Attachments

• P1070157.jpg
    P1070157.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 109
  • P1070158.jpg
    P1070158.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 98
Best bet is to remove all drawers and doors and look at how the cabinets are built and joined to each other. You most likey will find that areas that are not normaly seen will not be finished. The outboard edge of your bunk may well be attached to a cleat on the side bulkhead that may not itself extend down to the deck. Good luck

It looks like a double now; my experience with renos leads me to suggest that first you need to measure everything, then do as amdavis suggests and use the way it was assembled to tear it all apart. You will have some matching to do with the panelling so I would suggest doing as little of that as possible and install new material wherever you can, unless you can spend a lot of time with the finishes. The bed will have to be rebuilt so that will be the item that drives the project. You could use parts of the existing cabinet to cover the washer so you don't have to toss it then mount the bed next to the "new" cabinet. If you really want the washer gone, you will have a clean open area to place the bed and add as many cabinets as you wish. It will be very time consuming to match the very nice Taiwanese cabinetry so you might find a compromise style that is less time consuming.

I suppose I should ask if you plan to do this yourself? If you are, you will have less time constraints, if you're not, get a yard or a cabinet maker to give you a plan and a cost.

Yup
DIY is the order of the day.....I guess my big question is if the joints are screwed, glued or dowelled and how to break them apart with the least damage

A Fein tool or one of the new clones works well to cut joints.

It looks like a double now; my experience with renos leads me to suggest that first you need to measure everything, then do as amdavis suggests and use the way it was assembled to tear it all apart. You will have some matching to do with the panelling so I would suggest doing as little of that as possible and install new material wherever you can, unless you can spend a lot of time with the finishes. The bed will have to be rebuilt so that will be the item that drives the project. You could use parts of the existing cabinet to cover the washer so you don't have to toss it then mount the bed next to the "new" cabinet. If you really want the washer gone, you will have a clean open area to place the bed and add as many cabinets as you wish. It will be very time consuming to match the very nice Taiwanese cabinetry so you might find a compromise style that is less time consuming.

I suppose I should ask if you plan to do this yourself? If you are, you will have less time constraints, if you're not, get a yard or a cabinet maker to give you a plan and a cost.

Some good points, if your asking how to disassemble the furnishings this may be a project over your head. Reusing existing components is very limiting, the results are driven by using what you have modified to use. You would be better removing the cabinetry you don't want, save the doors and drawers perhaps the molding and build what you want. You are going to have floor repairs as well as panel to replace. Most pieces in a boat are not built as stand alone components so they rely on support from the bulkhead. If the boat is teak, hold on to your shorts, teak is going for about $28-$34 a board ft. that's 1foot x1foot x 1inch rough. Cherry and Mahogany are in the $5 or less range and can be stained to look close. An island bed is nice but you will give up floor area.

My experience with remodeling is to tear it all out and start from scratch. If you try to piece together and save it's going to be more work and expense in the long run. I love doing demo! :rofl::dance:

Back
Top Bottom