Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (
-   Island Gypsy/Halvorsen Designs (
-   -   Strange Knobs (

Chubasco88 03-16-2014 11:22 PM

Strange Knobs
Hi Everyone,

Proud owner of a 32' Halvorsen Gypsy 1986 model. Equipped with all the good bits and pieces and running a Dover Ford Lehmann SP135.

My question is:- There are two knobs in the main saloon. One near the helm station near the sliding door and another in the ceiling almost directly above the sink on the port side.

Does anyone know what they are? Their function?


Xsbank 03-17-2014 01:41 AM

I'll take a stab at "knobs" (making many assumptions) I think the one over the sink could be a manual propane/cooking gas shutoff and the other one could be a fire pull or... I think some photos would help. Did I say welcome? Welcome!

dwhatty 03-17-2014 09:00 AM


RT Firefly 03-17-2014 09:17 AM

Welcome aboard. A lot of my friends are strange knobs....Go figure.

Alemao 03-17-2014 09:48 AM

Picture, picture,.. :-)

FlyWright 03-17-2014 11:27 AM

Here's some help on posting phots, if you need it.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Set up your account | Help, Tips, etc

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Harry Gordon 03-22-2014 05:58 PM


On my IG32, the knob above the stove is the shut-off valve for the propane tank. You can see the valve under the upper helm station, on the port side. I replaced this manual valve with an electric solenoid with the control panel in the galley.
The knob next to the sliding door below the helm is a windshield wash.
I hope this helps.

Chubasco88 03-23-2014 11:46 PM

Pics of strange knobs?
2 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,

I am attaching the pics of the 'strange knobs' in my IG.

BruceK 03-24-2014 01:21 AM

Welcome aboard Malcolm.
Harry Gordon`s post is right on both counts. LPG takes a while to reach the stove. Beware of water dripping off the valve, it indicates water running along the delivery pipe,if so reseal the wood block on the FB deck near the gas bottle(s) where the gas starts its journey to the stove.
Now if I could find where the washer water exits at the screen.... that valve seems just decorative on my boat.
From pic 2, you are getting some spray via the helm door, and something seems to be happening to the bottom of the ply panel, ? water entry.

ootb 08-29-2014 09:43 AM

the knob over the sink is indeed the shut of for the CNG tanks. The one by the helm has me stumped. I have one of them as well and just gave up wondering about it

bayview 08-29-2014 10:18 AM

Looks like a removable panel behind the wheel. Take it off and see what the knob hooks to.

ootb 08-29-2014 10:26 AM

just heard it is the washer for the windshield.

Capt.Bill11 08-29-2014 11:30 AM


Originally Posted by ootb (Post 262175)
just heard it is the washer for the windshield.


BruceK 08-29-2014 06:49 PM

That question was solved last March, see posts above.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012