Hull cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Requesting opinions on the best cleaner for the ICW moustache (stain) on the bow. I know this has been discussed before, but I can’t seem to locate it in the bowels of the archives. Thanks. KJ

A lot of people swear by Sno-Bowl, maybe that has oxy in it (?). Others, a light acid like most of the commercial hull cleaners. When you are done, apply Rejex so all you have to do in the future is hose it off or at worst use a very soft brush. Gelcoat takes the worst of it vs the hard painted hulls, at least that is my observation. Here is a pic of my boat in Massachusetts, after having been from Baltimore to Key West and up to MA..

Summer%2520and%2520Fall%2520%252708%2520072.jpg

People told me to stop using the harsh acids in the toilet bowl cleaners and just use lemon juice...well I tried it last time.

After about 1/2 hour of multiple applications and letting it sit for 10 minutes or so...yes the "stache" disappeared.

"The Works" toilet bowl cleaner at any dollar store does it in minutes...it may be harsher...but the results are instant and a quick rinse and some new polish/wax can be done in a fraction of the time the lemon juice treatment.

If I had a brand new gel coat/paint, I may stick with the lemon juice...but for my old tub...the satisfaction of time and quickly applying protection won out over the juice....

Requesting opinions on the best cleaner for the ICW moustache (stain) on the bow. I know this has been discussed before, but I can’t seem to locate it in the bowels of the archives. Thanks. KJ

What's with your waters?

Spend some time boating in the crystal clear waters of the Great Lakes and you will never have to shave...

Be sure to wax after you clean with the light acid solution, and it'll stay clean for a long time.

Mary Kate is pretty close to the Dollar store cleaners (a few more acids thown in maybe for different chemical removal)...but for organic stains like the moustache...any of the porcelain bowl acid cleaners for a buck or two will do the job just the same (my marina's price on Mary Kate $14.95)

Be sure to wax after you clean with the light acid solution, and it'll stay clean for a long time.

The polymer sealants like Rejex (which I far prefer, Zaino and Starbrite also get good reviews, some like AwlCare) are far superior to any wax for this purpose. Years plying the entire AICW and Carolina waters have taught me this. However they are only as "shiny" as the surface below them, so make sure it is clean.

The tannins are caused by the swamps, especially the Water Cypress, but also other trees and plants that grow and die in them. In North Carolina, the hog farms (especially) and wood processing plants added their share, but various forms of Riverkeeper programs have made a huge dent in that.

The MSDS for Marykate On and Off indicates the main active ingredients are hydrochloric acid and phosphoric acid....very aggressive for gelcoat. Starbright's hull cleaner is primarily Oxalic acid....wood bleach at your local hardware store.

Spend some time boating in the crystal clear waters of the Great Lakes and you will never have to shave...

No shaving for sure, but we get a chalky build up on the bootstripe and part of the hull from the minerals in the water here, especially on the side that faces out to the river and gets wave action.

I found Lime-Away to work like nobody's business on this type of discloration. Spray it on, let it sit, then hose it off.

Huh, I think I'll stay in South Carolina, for now. KJ

TRAVERSE CITY,MI
1429-albums194-picture980.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom