inline water strainer for AFTER rw pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilson

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
COWBUOY
Vessel Make
1974 chb
I forget who mentioned it, sorry, but someone mentioned it might be a decent idea to put a smaller inline strainer after the raw water pump to stop the rubber pump bits from going to the heat exchangers.
Anyway, the only strainer I saw at west marine said it was for "vacuum side of pump only" on the package. I look online and it does not mention which side of the pump it "may" be placed on. So any advice on an inline strainer for this purpose or what?

Standard issue on Perkins Sabres are in line mesh screens after the RW pump. The intent is to catch pump pieces or debris before they get to after cooler.

>someone mentioned it might be a decent idea to put a smaller inline strainer after the raw water pump to stop the rubber pump bits from going to the heat exchangers<

Not a small strainer , a good sized easy to check strainer.

The Sendure inline has been my favorite since the mid 60s .

Its a Y shape ., bronze and causes no noticeable loss of water flow .

1 inch and 1 1/2 inch sizes.

...........Not a small strainer , a good sized easy to check strainer...............
Yep certainly not a small strainer, the last thing you want to do is restrict the water flow. It should be the same size as the hose or larger.

You wouldn't need a fine mesh strainer, you probably have that on the inlet side. The purpose here is to catch broken impeller pieces. Of course if you replace the impeller on a regular basis you probably won't have that problem to begin with.

My solution to this (after cleaning rubber bits out of heat exchanger) was to put a screen in the end cap of the exchanger. the holes in it are just a little smaller than the heatex tubes so if it passes the screen then it won't have any trouble moving along down stream.

My solution to this (after cleaning rubber bits out of heat exchanger) was to put a screen in the end cap of the exchanger. the holes in it are just a little smaller than the heatex tubes so if it passes the screen then it won't have any trouble moving along down stream.

Just make sure you're using compatible metals.

Just make sure you're using compatible metals.

A screen sounds like a good idea. How about some sort of plastic mesh. I don't recall the opening size right now but the stuff used to make minnow traps, or cages, might work.
Yes, it is best to check the impeller and catch it before it starts to shed parts.

Yep. mine is plastic. nylon maybe. It was just something i had laying around my workshop.

>someone mentioned it might be a decent idea to put a smaller inline strainer after the raw water pump to stop the rubber pump bits from going to the heat exchangers<

Not a small strainer , a good sized easy to check strainer.

The Sendure inline has been my favorite since the mid 60s .

Its a Y shape ., bronze and causes no noticeable loss of water flow .

1 inch and 1 1/2 inch sizes.
From their web site, it looks like they have discontinued them.

Ted

I actually think adding a strainer is a bad idea. Something else to clog up with salt, or growth and help overheat the engine.
In 20 plus years I never had an impeller break apart. I change them often enough to prevent that.

I actually think adding a strainer is a bad idea. Something else to clog up with salt, or growth and help overheat the engine.
In 20 plus years I never had an impeller break apart. I change them often enough to prevent that.
.....:thumb:.....and you can usually backflush or pick clean enough to get going in a few minutes to a safe haven for a more thorough cleaning IF and WHEN it happens...

Knock on wood...never in 50 years of boating including the hundreds of delivery boats and commercial boats I jump on and go with no inspection....except one....both engines overheated in 30 seconds from disintegrating impellers...never cleaned the heat exchangers and ran 150 miles with no problems.

Too many systems to monitor and it's like a NASA launch...now at T-5 minutes and in indefinite hold....:eek::D:D

Trouble shooting is always the hardest part of problem solving.

With the Y strainer a look takes a few seconds , which can be a big help in an overheat situation.

Back
Top Bottom