Need a list of under 40' full displacement boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bikeandboat

Vessel Name
Missing Link
Vessel Make
1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
Although we have enjoyed traveling on our 1981 Mainship II 34', I am now entertaining a full dispalcement boat under 40'. We found we can live with a single engine and actually enjoy lower speeds, so maybe it is time to move on to a full displacement. We are looking for a list of boats that fit that criteria.

Why full displacement? The list is pretty short and a semi-displacement run slow will give pretty good fuel economy.

My 40 will get 3.3NMPG at 6.3 knots...if I slowed her to 5.5...probably would get over 4.0NMPG...

I'm not saying that's going to be as good as a FD hull...just cutting your list to just FD hulls under 40 may really limit what you really want or can buy.

Nova Heritage are FD. Top speed 10kts ish...

Top speed ten, under 40 feet and full displacement?
Pretty much a transition hull I would say but I'll wait for a full QBBL review...:D

I agree. But the forum elders were all pretty quick to call it so. So instead of arguing I just accept it :)

Hey my first post suggested that us tweeners are so bad....:D

I had performed some research on FD trawlers before this post and found very little info. I decided I was doing something wrong on my search, so I posted this. Evidently there is very little out there in FD under 40'. Maybe a "one off" buiild here and there, but not much production. Thanks for the information on this site.

I had performed some research on FD trawlers before this post and found very little info. I decided I was doing something wrong on my search, so I posted this. Evidently there is very little out there in FD under 40'. Maybe a "one off" buiild here and there, but not much production. Thanks for the information on this site.

Yes there are some nice "one off" trawlers out there...especially in the 40 foot range. Most experience skippers know that production trawlers are marketed for a large market...not necessarily designed for liveaboard or truly long range cruising by 2 people.

Had I had the time, I would have spent more of it investigating some of them before just jumping on a production model that has been a rebuild anyway.

Fisher.

A Brit boat. They are actually a motor sailor w heavy emphasis on motor. Not motor but engine of course.

Look on Yacht World.

Attachments

• DSC_0245.jpg
    DSC_0245.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 194
My 30 Campion is more of a FD than SD boat. Some of the Albins are FD.

Fred P...............

Willards, some Selenes, Krogens, some Atlantics or Prairies models, Albins but small older ones, Hatteras 42 LRC, Diesel Ducks.

There are others that escape my memory but most are as pointed out, one offs or small production models locally known.

Keep your eye out for interesting boats in the ads and on the docks.

Most of our boats though are some form of planing hull, maybe not fast but planing nonetheless. Don't close the door on them.

Sundowner 30
Fales 32
Pilgrim 40
Lord Nelson 37
Krogen 36
Krogen 39
Nordhavn 40
Willard 40, 36 and 30
Coot
Seahorse Duck 382
Great Harbour GH-37 and N-37
The odd custom Steel Hull Trawler
Prairie 29, not sure about the 36
Schucker 40

That was exhausting.

Last edited:
Why is full displacement a requirement for you? I'm only asking because when I was looking, I too was in the hull-speed-only camp. My theory was that I wanted to go farther and more comfortably, and was willing to go slower to achieve that.

I ended up with what you see on the left, a 36' Prairie. It's technically a semi-displacement. It can go above hull speed, but only at great cost in fuel. I have no intention of doing so very often, and could easily live without it. My point is that I'm glad I didn't limit my search to only FD hulls.

The reason for wanting to consider a FD hull is somewhat technical. The short of it is that a Full Displacement hull speed can be attained with a small engine running at its most efficient speed VS a SD hull, such as the one I have with a 200 HP Perkins, will run at or just over hull speed at a failry low RPM which is not the optimum for that engine. This explanation is simple to say the least.

The reason for wanting to consider a FD hull is somewhat technical. The short of it is that a Full Displacement hull speed can be attained with a small engine running at its most efficient speed VS a SD hull, such as the one I have with a 200 HP Perkins, will run at or just over hull speed at a failry low RPM which is not the optimum for that engine. This explanation is simple to say the least.

Most of this crowd is way past that level...that's why some of us are saying a semi at displacement speeds is going to be very economical, very close to a displacement hull economy, but you have way more options.

My 40 is way bigger and heavier than your 34 but only has a 120 instead of 200hp...most of the time I wish it were a 75-80hp engine but even that little diff in economy isn't going to amount to much if the rest of the boat isn't a good fit for me in the long run.

Think out side the box.

Bought my Cherubini in January with a Cummins C 450. Hull is somewhere between SD and SP. Purchased a 4 cylinder John Deere (107-137 HP) and will do the swap this summer. The motor is almost an even dollar swap as the one coming out is low hours, still made, and in demand. Will use same transmission and shaft. Will need to change wheel and plumbing. Lot easier to put a smaller motor where a bigger one was.

Here is my point, you may find a fuel guzzling SD that is a hard sell. Save enough on the purchase to repower.

Ted

great list.

Most of this crowd is way past that level...that's why some of us are saying a semi at displacement speeds is going to be very economical, very close to a displacement hull economy, but you have way more options.

My 40 is way bigger and heavier than your 34 but only has a 120 instead of 200hp...most of the time I wish it were a 75-80hp engine but even that little diff in economy isn't going to amount to much if the rest of the boat isn't a good fit for me in the long run.

and that's (only 120 hp) is one of the reasons your boat is so economical at displacement speeds.:dance:

So true. Most mid-sized boats have two engines or at least one engine totaling 160 to 400+ horsepower. Less than 100 is needed for hull speed. I've got 80 and it's plenty to push 14 tons.

Back
Top Bottom