Thruster Battery Type?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith

Guru
Vessel Name
Anastasia III
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I have a couple of AGM starting batteries for my bow thruster. Are starting batteries the proper type, or should I get deep cycle when I replace them? They get discharged during use, and not re-charged until I get to the next destination that evening or start up the genset at an anchorage.

I think most people feel you have the ideal batteries for a thruster. Thrusters require high amperage for a short period of time ie: starting batteries. Even better with AGM batteries yours will accept a high charge rate which ideal for replenishing during your cruising time. I wouldn't change a thing.

Keith - I just had a bow thruster installed. AGM 8Ds with inverter to take 12 to 24 V. It has a separate charger from house and engine starting (lead acid units)

-- Edited by sunchaser on Monday 22nd of February 2010 08:04:51 PM

I ordered the Lifeline group 31's yesterday. Man, the prices were all over the place.
Defender $425
Go2Marine $339
TNR Batteries $270
West had a Mastervolt group 31 AGM for $290.

TNR has a flat shipping charge of $12 which is what they charged me, despite saying on the battery page that this one would cost $30 to ship. Still cheaper than buying locally. I was surprised at how expensive Defender was though! Here's where I bought them:
http://www.tnrbatteries.com/limaba.html

Did you check YES? I know you had issues awhile back but hopefully they made them right. Anyway, before you buy next time, allow Jim a shot. He WILL beat a price if he is able. They are slowly being forced into more retail parts as Bluewater goes away.

BTW, my whole boat(thruster,windlass,house,starting) on 2 lead acid group 29s!!!!! The ones that came with the boat lasted 5 years of hard work.....hoping for the same service from the new ones.

I would also think that 2 golf cart batteries would work quite well.

Does YES have a parts store? I thought they were just a service shop. Never thought of getting stuff from them. Yea, it's sad that Blue Water is going under, albeit very slowly. What the hell are we going to do without Barbara? I keep thinking Blue Water will go under and a new store will open in their place... maybe just a reorganization?

I had one guy from YES mess up a thruster motor install, but they fixed it immediately once I called them. It was an inconvenience, but they handled it properly and I recommend them to everybody.

Back
Top Bottom