Purchasing teak for remodeling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where can I get "good" (lol) prices on teak plywood

BURMA

In the USA if you will need many sheets having the materials shipped from the importer will be cheaper than going thru the std supply system.

If you only need a a dozen sheets , ask the dist if he has blems , slightly damaged stock, and see if it works for you.

Good hunting

Where can I get "good" (lol) prices on teak plywood
Not knowing where you live or where your boat is kept, it's pretty difficult to provide an answer. Most larger cities have at least one "real" lumber yard (not Lowes or Home Depot) where you can buy specialty products such as teak plywood. If they don't stock it, they can order it for you.

Shipping sheets of plywood is expensive, probably enough to offset any savings by ordering over the Internet. Still, it's worth a web search to compare the total price against buying locally.

Buying locally, you can reject any pieces that don't meet your standards. Not so if you have it shipped.

Have you considered alternatives or is teak your final decision?

I'm getting away from it as it isn't traditional in US boatbuilding and too expensive.

But if set on it...check woodworker mags as a lot of small specialty wood places can get it and shipped for far less than you can.

I know of a place in southern NJ...but I doubt that helps you.

I just finished a project using 1/2" 1 side teak marine plywood. I was able to get a 1/4 sheet locally and paid $37 plus tax.

If you are just going to cut the plywood into smaller pieces, consider veneer. Use any old regular marine ply and glue the veneer to it. I have done this several times and found it a good approach because the veneer readily available, easily shipped and what you don't use can be stored away easily till you need it.

I just finished a project using 1/2" 1 side teak marine plywood. I was able to get a 1/4 sheet locally and paid $37 plus tax.

Larry,
you stole that sheet... even here with Edensaw Woods the largest importer on the west if not both coasts... teak ply is over $ 125.00 a sheet. Being able to walk into the the place and get over 150 species of wood is priceless.

Cajun Mistress,
Another option depending on the size needed is or order the correct size teak veneer online and add it to a locally sourced sheet of cabinet grade plywood.

HOLLYWOOD

Larry,
you stole that sheet... even here with Edensaw Woods the largest importer on the west if not both coasts... teak ply is over $ 125.00 a sheet. Being able to walk into the the place and get over 150 species of wood is priceless...HOLLYWOOD

Yes, it was a good deal and they even cut if from a full sheet. Their chandler is open to the public and they are real helpful.

We have been to Edensaw when they had a warehouse in Kent. The place was pretty amazing. You can buy a whole tree that has been cut and dried or several hundred different veneers at least.

Edensaw:Main Site: Marine Plywood Supplier

Much of my teak ply is rotten or peeling the top layers of veneer...when I'm done peeling off the bad stuff and filling with filler or ply...on the large flat surfaces that could use building back some thickness, I'll glue on T&G pine to be varnished or painted (have thought about the cedar also as a nice looking alternative.

In other places that I feel are solid, I may go traditional with just a white or off white formica and leave the teak trim I can or replace with a mahogany or oak trim that I can buy locally and inexpensively..

Many boat builders are using much lighter woods now as the public grew tired of the whole boat interior being dark...sure some...but not everything has to be dark... Some like it that way but it seems more and more don't.

One thing to consider if buying sheets of teak ply is the color and grain, which can vary enough to make any repair or addition look obvious. Like Hollywood, we're here in the Port Townsend area and recently went to Edensaw for some teak ply (to cover the frame/base of our settee). We ended up with 1/4" ply and actually looked through quite a few sheets before finding one that best matched all the teak in the main saloon.

Hollywood, where do you moor "Otter"?

Back
Top Bottom