Air conditioner drip-tray leakage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
"Dragon Lady"
Vessel Make
DeFever 41
Here's the problem and the solution:

A while ago I installed a Pioneer Mariner a/c unit to cool my boat's saloon. After running for half an hour or so, fresh water would start to seep out from beneath the front edge of the drip-tray. This would continue for as long as the unit was running. At first glance, it looked like leakage from drip-tray drains/hoses or possibly from locations where components are thru-bolted to the tray. Wrong!

Inspection, with twisted neck and mirror on stick, showed that the water was accumulating outside the tray at the back of the unit where the evaporator is located. The water was then seeping under the tray to the front edge where I noticed it. The culprit turned out to be the way in which the unit is made. The evaporator is fastened to the back of the drip-tray. When the evaporator gets cold, so does the back of the tray and moisture condenses on the inside and outside faces - inside is fine, the outside was causing the problem. The solution was to stick two layers of foam tape on the back outside face of the tray. It still gets just as cold, but the moist air no longer comes in contact with the cold surface, so no condensation.

If I was replacing a/c's again, I would look for the following specs:

1. Recommended by forum members - if in doubt buy Cruisair
2. Internals supported from bottom of tray, not sides
3. Supports welded to tray not thru-bolted
4. Footprint of internals smaller than tray so all drips are caught
5. Hooked straps for hold-downs, not tubes tack-welded in the corners

Attachments

• Saloon airco.jpg
    Saloon airco.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 97
Well, the above solution was only partially successful. I have still had problems with moisture on the condenser dripping beyond the perimeter of the drip tray. The solution this time was to make an aluminium (OK, aloominum) extension to the tray. Not elegant, but it works.

Sorry for the poor quality pic.

Attachments

• Drip-tray extension.jpg
    Drip-tray extension.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom