opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chucks

I'm sure this has been asked before but I am new to the forum. Looking at two trawlers. One being a 49 Grand Banks, another a 49 Defever. Opinions on one over the other and why? Both middle 80's in good condition with much the same equipment and price.

chuck

If I were in your shoes and prior to survey, I'd get a reputable surveyor or smart yard guy to spend a few hours on each vessel with you prior to making an offer.

Areas I'd look at in detail would be teak decks, fuel tanks and potential top side water intrusion. GB sliding windows and leakage are a sore spot too. These areas can be bottomless pits once you get into them. Also, which one has the best maintenance log for work done and by who.

Both are good vessels with condition after a good look determining decision IMHO.

BTW - Do they both have a good diesel heating system? Essential for the PNW

If I were in your shoes and prior to survey, I'd get a reputable surveyor or smart yard guy to spend a few hours on each vessel with you prior to making an offer.

Areas I'd look at in detail would be teak decks, fuel tanks and potential top side water intrusion. GB sliding windows and leakage are a sore spot too. These areas can be bottomless pits once you get into them. Also, which one has the best maintenance log for work done and by who.

Both are good vessels with condition after a good look determining decision IMHO.

Well said :thumb:, the builder is not near as important as the condition which should be the deciding factor unless all things are equal and they rarely are!!

:iagree: Also to consider the area where you will be cruising. The DeFever is far better suited for open ocean then the GB. The GB doesn't have the bow height, flair or reserve buoyancy forward of the DeFever. The sliding cabin ports/windows also are not well suited to ocean conditions if things get fresh out there.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. We are still looking, but my lean is to the Defever for PNW cruising thus far. Nothing against the GB just trying to get the best for my $$'s. We are considering living aboard for 6 to 7 months yearly. Heat as you mentioned is a factor.

Find a surveyor that has years of experience with larger cruisers and pay him to come to lunch.

A fellow that has crawled thru many will know which years are problem boats and when which was cured.

Sometimes economic hard times cause the GRP to be much thinner , and lower quality choices like hatches , ports, deck hardware and wiring to be cheapened.

Worth the price of a bottle of wine and a Blue Plate Special.

Knowledge is Power F.B.

Another factor to consider is the hull form. The GB likely is a semi-displacement and the DeFever a full displacement boat. I am no sure on this but I would confirm the hull form before making a decision. The semi-displacement will be fine within the PNW. Travel south or up to Alaska and you may be happier with the full displacement boat. But be informed about this distinction before you purchase.

Marty

Thanks to both FF and Marty. Finding a good surveyor is important. I have seen the results of bad ones that must have been in the used car business not yachting and how much they have missed.
I agree Marty about the full displacement. I keep leaning to hulls like the Defever.

chuck

I just did a quick pre buy on a 1982 49' GB Classic. 9 hours. You get 60,000 pounds of construction with the GB. What does the DF weight. Teak decks, cabin windows and tracks and top of fuel tanks must be looked at. You have to pull out every draw, I mean take it out completely and look behind it. Open every access point you can and study the area with a strong flashlite. I would think that the bottom of the GB may be in better shape then the DF. Take the time to empty the Lazz. and look deep in to her belly. Compare oil samples from mains and gen set. Fuel burn will be very important. I would rather have two non turbo slow turning 6s that give me 8 to 10 knots rather then big fuel eaters. This is a big decision . Take your time. Good luck.

Thanks Ron, There is a lot to it and one must take their time looking at every detail as you mentioned. When I go out to look the sales people are not sure what to think because I do exactly what you said with my flash light. I think their used to some one just looking at the helm, talking then walking away. I keep looking. The right one will show up. Not in a hurry.
Thanks Chuck

Back
Top Bottom