AC replace repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunvale

It would appear that my AC compressor gave up the ability to function. So the cost I'm quoted to repair is very close to a new one. This one is about 7 years old and I'm leaning towards a new install. So my question is can I use the same ducting and wiring and just replace it with a new unit.
Has anyone done the work, is there an article someplace in this forum on the procedure. What is a reliable unit to replace the old one with and is it rocket science t do. Like to install a 16000 BTU but like to have an idea as to what I should look for and who is a reliable distributor for AC/Heat units.:angel:

This link outlines my experiences in renovating my a/c's - it may be of use.

If you decide to buy new unit(s), buy quality. If in doubt go with Cruisair.

Keep us posted
Mike

Your information is most welcome. I have talked with the marina regarding replacing the unit and found that I could get my lawyer to do the work less expensive. So I'm going to tackle it myself. I figure that the winter months will be enough to get er done.

If you can find one that fits the same space, the hardest part is lifting the old unit off the boat. I did one on our boat last summer. Three plumbing connections, four wires.

AC

Just read the article by Steve D'Antonio regarding ACs. Was very enlightening and just in time for my project

Sunvale, I'm with Keith. Mermaid makes excellent units; I've had 2 in the past, both on sailboats, and can't say enough good things about the units and the support. They're really good people. When my vintage CruiseAirs bite the dust, I'll be looking at Mermaid as my first choice.

I swear by Mermaids (also a dealer). We live aboard and never burned one out. Our last one on the sailboat is 6 years old and was in constant use till we moved off the boat. Seemed like in summer, the unit never shut off. It's one hell of a work horse. In winter, the boat will be toasty warm in no time at all.

As for replacements, piece of cake. They are referred to as palletized meaning that the unit is all in one piece except for the water pump. Other than that, it's all plug and play if replacing an older unit. Like someone said earlier, the hardest part is lifting the old unit out if vertical lift is only option.
All A/C units have their own 'footprint'. Check with the manufacturer to make sure theirs will fit. The only option affecting the footprint was whether you wanted the duct exiting the unit to the side or the top.

These units are made in Florida and their customer service and tech support over the phone is excellent.

Last edited:
Redid 4 A/C units on a GB 49'. Based in Baltimore Harbor. Very hot and humid in the summer. After 2 week trail period I increased the raw water inlet, increased hose size and new pump with more GPH rating. Also bigger strainer and exit hose. The A/C is much more efficient .

First question for the R&R guy replacing your compressor is ,,how will you flush the system , and do you have a new dryer with you.

A blank look should cause you to find a different tech.

Chances are that if the compressor is bad, the blower motor may not be far behind. I would go with a new one. Just finished moving one unit from the back to the front and replaced a Mermaid unit with a Cruisair. As long as the unit fits in the same space it's not that difficult. Be sure the unit you buy has the capability to rotate the blower outlet so you can position it to match the current ductwork. Personally I would not buy another Mermaid.

Bob

Depending on your location, you may find a benefit in a Flagship Marine unit. They are a little different than the others I that the ac side is reverse cycle like all the others but the heat side is a straight electric furnace.
Living aboard in Lake Ontario, ours has performed since 1984 with no more than a couple of $20 relays being replaced.

The Mermaid unit we had was also electric heat. Drew a whole bunch of amps for not much heat output. Unless the water gets too cold where you are to use reverse cycle, I would not consider a unit with electric heat.

Another consideration might the refrigerant in the current unit. If it's R12 you are better off to get a new unit with a currently politically correct refrigerant.

Bob

The Mermaid unit we had was also electric heat. Drew a whole bunch of amps for not much heat output. Unless the water gets too cold where you are to use reverse cycle, I would not consider a unit with electric heat.

Another consideration might the refrigerant in the current unit. If it's R12 you are better off to get a new unit with a currently politically correct refrigerant.

Bob

Don't know about Mermaid but our Flagship unit put out 19500btu's and if it can heat 40' boat through a Toronto winter it's OK by me.

Wow, that's a lot of BTUs. Is it 110 or 220? What's the current draw on that?

Bob

That's cooling BTUs. According to their specs the 18000 BTU unit provides 2KW of heating. According to my calculations that's less than 7000 BTUs of heating. Your boat must be really well insulated. That's about what the Mermaid we had put out and it barely took the chill off.

Bob

That's cooling BTUs. According to their specs the 18000 BTU unit provides 2KW of heating. According to my calculations that's less than 7000 BTUs of heating. Your boat must be really well insulated. That's about what the Mermaid we had put out and it barely took the chill off.

Bob

Agree... the conversionr is around 5000 btus at around 1500 watts
so a 30 amp cord maxes out with 2 electric heaters and around 10,000 btus....3 space heaters barely keeps my trawler warm in 40 degree temps.

Back
Top Bottom