Using Amsteel 5400 lb. line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I just switched out my block and tackle arrangement on my dinghy davits to a couple of hand winches with Amsteel grey 5400 lb. line, mainly to facilitate ease of use by my Admiral. I want to attach simple hook and thimble arrangement to each end, but never worked with this skinny, slippery line before. I mean, look at this skinny little line. I'd have to weave it with a fish-net hook. Maybe just tie a bowline?

Attachments

• GEDC0037.jpg
    GEDC0037.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 98
I just switched out my block and tackle arrangement on my dinghy davits to a couple of hand winches with Amsteel grey 5400 lb. line, mainly to facilitate ease of use by my Admiral. I want to attach simple hook and thimble arrangement to each end, but never worked with this skinny, slippery line before. I mean, look at this skinny little line. I'd have to weave it with a fish-net hook. Maybe just tie a bowline?

Nope- splice it.

Fixed Loop with a Locked Brummel Splice - YouTube
Creating a fixed eye in your Amsteel Blue Winch Line - YouTube
http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents..._C2_Whoopie Sling_AmSteel-ASB_AUG2012_WEB.pdf

The stuff is strong!
Testing 1/8 inch amsteel soft shackles - YouTube

Very, very easy to splice. This line is great stuff. I used it to tow a 19 foot aluminum boat to Alaska and back this summer ( with some nylon on each end to take some of the shock)

What's wrong? Were they out of dental floss?

I like the bowline.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom