Approaching ICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norumbega

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Navigator
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36' Europa MK II
Hi,
We're finally on our way towards the ICW going south from Maine. Are finding excellent slips, moorings and anchorages along the way...have been indulging in some R&R in the Chesapeake. Tonight we're anchored off Wye Island, tomorrow we'll reprovision at Chesapeake Maritime Museum slip.

Uh oh... Looks like we get to enjoy another epic ICW trip blog by a member! These never get old.

Let me know when you get near the Neuse. We have stayed just about everywhere between Manteo and Southport (plus a few spot towards Georgetown). Perhaps our paths will cross and I can buy you a few drinks.

(**waits for next entry WITH PICTURES**

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 247
Hi Again. Thank You both so much for showing me your vessel. WOW! Very nice. You have really done a great job. Super for two people. You showed me your flying Bridge table seat. I wonder if the base of the table would allow you to remove in a easy manner and then put a more confortable seat on the base. I ran my Independence 50 trawler down to Annapolis for the show. When she does sell, I will be looking for a vessel like yours to replace her. Thanks again. Have a safe trip. Ron T.

Yes, I to am wondering how NAVIGATOR is making out. I have been reading about many areas on the ICW that are having shallow water issues. I was wondering how they were making out.

We're in Charleston!

An update...we're at the dock at Charleston Maritime Center and have discovered how close we are to everything! We got boarded by the coast guard and passed inspection, phew!!! Didn't know how so many big guys with guns and life jackets could fit in our salon!

So far we've met mostly friendly warm people, honest marinas and fair rates.

Learning the fine art of passing sailboats has been tricky....seems many don't want to communicate via radio, so it leaves us not knowing how best to pass them with minimum trauma for all parties concerned.

The other trick is learning how recover when we are past by planing cruisers. Shoaling hasn't been an issue for us yet. We passed two sailboats today that we're gently aground at low tide. They didn't want help and we've joined them at our marina, so we know they're fine.

We're not sure where to stop next....Savannah, Beufort are all up ahead. I'm hoping to get an opportunity to practise either the organ, or piano wherever we stop. So far I've been welcomed at several churches, so if anyone has connections along the ICW I'd be grateful.

Cheers!

Either Beaufort or Savannah . Both are great. Downtown Savannah is a music center.

Enjoy.

John

How was your boarding. I've traveled along way and knock on wood haven't been boarded yet.

Learning the fine art of passing sailboats has been tricky....seems many don't want to communicate via radio, so it leaves us not knowing how best to pass them with minimum trauma for all parties concerned.

Lots of sailboats have their VHF down below, but of course are in the cockpit to steer. So may not hear the radio.

So far as the fine art of passing them -- just be considerate. Sailboats do not expect you to go completely down to idle. But they also do not expect you to be up on a plane and throwing a 4' wave either. Some rocking is part of it, and experienced sailors know that. Newbies might shake their fist at you, but they are still learning.

This is from someone who spent 5 years cruising on a sailboat, and did the East Coast ICW twice. One reason that I wanted a trawler when I got too old to singlehand the 40' sailboat any more was all the really nice people in trawlers that I met in the ICW.

How was your boarding. I've traveled along way and knock on wood haven't been boarded yet.
As we will be making our first trip down the ICW in a few weeks I too am curious as to what they checked. I've had them chase me and wave me off from subs on the LI Sound, but have never been boarded.

Dave

As we will be making our first trip down the ICW in a few weeks I too am curious as to what they checked. I've had them chase me and wave me off from subs on the LI Sound, but have never been boarded.

Dave

Returning to the northern Gulf of Mexico coast from Key West last spring we were boarded 3 times by various agencies: Customs/DEA near Tampa, Florida Marine Patrol near Apalachicola, and Alabama Marine Patrol near Orange Beach. On each occasion, the boarders were courteous and professional. We showed them the same treatment and got on very well. Their primary interest was in checking our paperwork and individual identities rather than our safety equipment, although the two Marine Patrol agencies did check our safety gear. Not a bad experience at all.

Dave

I've been boarded few times, one time next to UN building on East River. As long as you're polite and provide necessary documents, have required safety equipment you should have nothing to worry about. We even took group pix with CG on my boat and the city in the background to make it more memorable and fun.

Last edited:
The Coast Guard was very courteous and thorough...they checked all our safety equipment including making sure we had the necessary placards in place. I couldn't believe how many big men in life jackets and weapons could fit in our salon! The equipment and their boots left black marks on our boat and they banged pretty hard against our hull as they left...but it wasn't a bad experience and perhaps we were part of a training exercise?

Passing sailboats is getting less traumatic. You're right about the radios, and it seems that once we hail the last in a long line of sailboats, the others are prepared and know we're coming. We don't plane, so our wake is pretty much the same at cruising speed unless we are idle speed.

Great trip so far!

Do they check the black tank through-hull? I've been wondering if I should just take off the handle or leave it locked with a tie-wrap. Guess I better locate all my placards - I know they are where they should be but don't remember where that is!

Dave

Don't forget a written trash plan for your boat. It is required for any boat over 40'. I sealed mine in plastic, and attached it under the lid of or trash can.

They checked the y valve in our head and our keyed lock for the overboard macerator but didn't go below into the engine room. I put the white placard inside the door to our kitchen garbage can and the black placard is supposed to be somewhere obvious in the engine room.

They wanted to see our passports, my drivers license, social security card and our vessels' documentation. They viewed our life jackets, noisemakers, flares ( up to date). I think they were also checking for outstanding warrants. It would be nice to have some kind of sticker to show that we passed inspection...they did give us a piece of paper to show if we are approached again for another inspection.

Magicbus,
Did I see you on the hard at Zimmerman Marine in Deltaville recently? I just went on the hard there last week. I just purchased a Halvorsen 32 so we have some common heritage.
If you are still there next time I come to charge batteries maybe we could share a drink/meal.
Bill

Magicbus,
Did I see you on the hard at Zimmerman Marine in Deltaville recently? I just went on the hard there last week. I just purchased a Halvorsen 32 so we have some common heritage.
If you are still there next time I come to charge batteries maybe we could share a drink/meal.
Bill
Yes Bill that is us sitting in Deltaville - Congratulations on your Halvorsen. The current plan is to be in the water so we can take off south on 12/7. Hopefully all work will be finished so Zimmerman's can have her back in the week of 12/1. We arrive Friday 12/6 in the afternoon to load up. Between the cat and dog and getting the freezer and heat running for my wife, things will be hectic Friday, but if you are around please stop by. I guess we will be on the face dock unless they stick us in someone's empty slip (by the parking lot which would be nice!).

Dave

We may stop to say hello and offer help but certainly understand the hectic presail prep.
If not hopefully we can find each other on the water.

Bill

Very cool thread:thumb:
I've subscribed so I can live vicariously:D

...They wanted to see our passports, my drivers license, social security card and our vessels' documentation...

The documentation I understand.
Passports? Drivers licenses? and Social Security Cards?

If you are a U.S. Citizen, in U.S. waters, you wouldn't necessarily have a passport.
Drivers licenses are issued by and remain property of their respective state of issue, not the federal government.
And a Social Security Card is generally not considered an acceptable for of valid ID since it lacks a photo. Heck, I haven't seen my Social Security Card in about a decade!:rofl:

The last time I checked, you're not required to have "papers" in order to move freely within the states.

I'm certainly not suggesting anyone be discourteous or confrontational, and I'm happy to hear that they were courteous and professional (it's what I would expect), but the information you mentioned that they requested concerns me a bit.

...I think they were also checking for outstanding warrants.

That would be SOP on any boarding I've ever conducted. Quite interesting what you run up on out on the water.

It would be nice to have some kind of sticker to show that we passed inspection...they did give us a piece of paper to show if we are approached again for another inspection.

The boarding form will usually do it if conducted recently...unless they're looking for something specific.

Thanks for the thread...Really like the play by play of your travels.

Safe Travels....

OD

Last edited:
I under stand that the lock at great bridge might be closed for a month or more to replace a valve in the bottom of the lock,they have to pump out the water and buila a coffadam around the valve and replace it, it has broken loose from the cement in the bottom

Having just transited the ICW I can tell you that there are two places that are extremely shallow and should only be transited with an eye to the tides. First is Jekyll Creek just south of Brunswick, GA. I would only go through at high tide and honor the buoys not your charts. They are frequently moved due to constant shoaling. The other is Little Mud River, also in GA which I would transit at mid to high tide only. FYI, Magic draws 4'2".

Savannah is a great stop however you should be aware that the Savannah town dock, which is located 7 miles north on the Savannah River, can be fully occupied and there is no way to know in advance if that is the case. If it is occupied, you have no place to go except 7 miles back down the river as there are no marinas and no place to anchor. A better choice is Thunderbolt Marina, south of Savannah and a short taxi ride back to town.

If you need any advice on anchorages along the way, feel free to send me a PM and I will be glad to help. Travel safe, Howard

I under stand that the lock at great bridge might be closed for a month or more to replace a valve in the bottom of the lock...
I guess that would solve my issue of which canal to take! And Hmason thanks for the GA tips. We draw 5'6.

Dave

Dave,
The Dismal Swamp route could be "iffy" with your draft. Check Waterway Cruising Guide | Home for updates on the GB lock. They are working around the problem by scheduling openings at low tides. Might be worth waiting for the tide. There are free docks at either end of the lock if you can grab one. Easy walk to shopping/restaurants etc. If not, the Atlantic Yacht Basin immediately after the lock is a good place and is a member of the "Buck a Foot" club. Howard

Howard - thanks for the link. I had been trying to find a scheduled completion date but was unable. It looks like they are saying "around Thanksgiving" which is 2 weeks ahead of when we will be passing through.

Dave

Savannah is a great stop however you should be aware that the Savannah town dock, which is located 7 miles north on the Savannah River, can be fully occupied and there is no way to know in advance if that is the case. If it is occupied, you have no place to go except 7 miles back down the river as there are no marinas and no place to anchor. .............
Not true. There is the River Street Marketplace Dock:

River Street Market Place: Dock

Actually two separate docks run by the same dockmaster.

There is a dock at the Hyatt Hotel and one on the other side of the river at the Westin Hotel.

We have stayed at the River Street Marketplace Dock two or three times. Water and electric but no other facilities. You can call and make reservations.

According to Active Captain there is all within a few blocks of each other....

1. River Street Dock
2. River Street Market place Dock
3. Savannah City Dock
4. Savannah Hyatt Dock
5. The Westin Savannah Harbor - across the river so dingy or the ferry

Back
Top Bottom