Does anyone know what kind of boat this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rswett

Vessel Make
Ta Chiao CT 35
a>
I was told she is a 1979 Choey Lee 34 but I can't find another one that looks the same. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Last edited:
If you could post a photograph it would help us identify it. When making a post scroll down to manage attachments button to load your picture as your picture seems to have failed to load this way.

Last edited:
Wowzers! Not sure what she is but if she's got good bones I'd short list it. Looks great without some silly flybridge messing up her lines. :thumb:

Thanks Craig, I bought her last week with the understanding that it was a Choey Lee 34 however upon further research, she doesn't look like any Choey Lee out there? I am anxious to put that bridge and mast on to see the finished product! She has twin Perkins if that helps.

The hin is barely readable and the one on the bill of sale didn't come up in any searches. It very well could be pre 79?

Greetings,
1974 Marine Trader. HIN starboard side upper transom. I've seen Cheoy Lee's with HIN center upper transom.

I know where the hin # is however it is unreadable. It is on the upper transom in the center. I was hoping someone may have some ideas based on the lines, windows, doors, rails ect.

Thanks for the link. It doesn't look like anything on their web page.

Greetings,
Mr. Rswett. Yup, I didn't see much there either but you being the owner may have recognized something. Any chance your barely readable HIN starts with CHL? What does the HIN on the bill of sale start with?
MIC Database Detail Search Results

Last edited:
If she is documented, check the Documented database by vessel name. Lots of information there...

Thanks for the link. It doesn't look like anything on their web page.
Rswett, it looks to me like it might be a Cheoy Lee 32 without a flybridge. One of our other Aussie members, (AllanY), has one of those, but I think if it is a Cheoy Lee, it will be the 32, not 34, albeit one of the largest 32 footers on the planet. I remember falling in love with one many years ago before my wife put her foot down and insisted on a sedan/Euaropa type with aft cockpit rather than aft cabin, hence our Clipper 34 in the end winning out. It just took longer to find one as they were rare back in 1975, whereas they are nearly all that type new now.
I suggest you do a search for AllanY - might be AlanY - can't remember the boat name. You might be best to PM him, as he has not posted for quite a while. Wait on, I think I have a PM from him, let's see....
Yes, here's a link to him, you willl be able to see a pic of his boat at least, but he might not be watching out for PMs...
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/allany-997.html

Hang on a minute - maybe this could be why he has not posted for a while - I think this is his boat on the market - doubt there would be more than one Cheoy Lee 32 at Tin Can Bay, and that is where she was moored...so here is one anyway - how does it compare if you lopped off the flybridge..? Certainly the characteristic Cheoy Lee added bit of topsides above the rub rail at the bow is missing on yours, but it is almost like a sort of add-on...
Actually, to be honest, it looks more like a CHB 34 aft cabin minus flybridge to me now I see both to compare.

http://tincanbayboatsales.com.au/ed.php?de=111812

Last edited:
Thanks Peter B,

I was also thinking it may be the Choey Lee 32 And it is close but mine has almost a wing window forward of the cabin doors and the 32s seem to wrap around to the front. Also mine has a port main cabin door and the 32 doesn't. The CHB also looks similar but the widows

image-2003263177.jpg

are quite different and again, no port door. Maybe a picture of the aft cabin head might help. It seems quite unique with a bath tub and all.

So the hull ID # on the bill of sale is GT84010679. Is there a way to identify what I have here? Again, some of the hin seems to be unreadable and that number may not be 100% accurate.

I looked for the "GT" in the manufactures lost. All the listed Manufacture's have a 3 letter code now. Is it possible that there is a letter missing at the front?

Yeah, there are a couple characters missing. I will have to wait until I can get to the boat and try to make more sense out of it. There is supposed to be two spots on the hull with the same hin displayed from what I have gathered. I have only seen one, so there is hope.

Marine Trader IMO ETY

I have a Marine Trader from 1978 with an IMO starting with ETY. So I think that rules Marine Trader out for you. Also I think that the first two digits represent the length as stated in the model, in other words my boat is a "44 classic" so the first two digits are 44 even though she is only 43'6". The last 4 digits represent the date of Manufacture month and year. The 19 is left out from 1978.

So it turns out to be a Ta Chiao CT 35. Thanks again for everyone's help.

image-684506105.jpg

Back
Top Bottom