SOC Battery Monitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I'm installing a Victron 602S battery monitor tomorrow and have read the instructions through & through. They call for inputting the "Peukert" value for my particular batteries. They say it will give me more accurate data on the monitor's display. I never heard of a "Peukert" value but looked it up. It is a number that indicates the discharge rate for the manufacture's batteries. In my case, 1.12.

Have others on the Forum who have installed SOC monitors done this?
:confused:

I just installed mine a few moths ago and I thought the directions said not to change it unless you did not have lead acid batteries.

contact the mfg of your batteries. they can provide you with the value for 'NEW' batteries.

As the bank ages, you will have to make adjustments to the Puek to have your SOC monitor give you accurate estimates of remaining charge.

I put the Victron 602s on my AT, have AGM batteries, and did change the Peukert number. It corrects the discharge level for different kinds of batteries (by a few percent).

A "Peuk" :eek: is somehow related to a Discharge Rate? I think that I learned that by experience: first in my college fraternity and second in the service. :D

As the bank ages, you will have to make adjustments to the Puek to have your SOC monitor give you accurate estimates of remaining charge.
And how is that done? Where does one get the info for adjusting the Peukert value?

A "Peuk" :eek: is somehow related to a Discharge Rate? I think that I learned that by experience: first in my college fraternity and second in the service. :D

:lol: (insert knee slap here)

Most SOC will observe the charge and discharge rate and create a profile for your batt set as it exists installed.

It will change slowly (automatically) over time as the unit observes the set.

Initially, I found some "generic" Peukert values for various types of batteries in searches on the internet. Not completely satisfied, I called the manufacturer of my AGM batteries and got the Peukert value from the technical staff. They were quiet excited I even knew such a thing existed.

Again, this is an minor adjustment to the state of charge value and the meter is tremendously useful even if you don't enter it.

Initially, I found some "generic" Peukert values for various types of batteries in searches on the internet. Not completely satisfied, I called the manufacturer of my AGM batteries and got the Peukert value from the technical staff. They were quiet excited I even knew such a thing existed.

Again, this is an minor adjustment to the state of charge value and the meter is tremendously useful even if you don't enter it.

What was the value you entered for AGMs?

Sorry, I'm in MI and the boat and manuals are currently in NY. I believe it was something like 1.12 (wild guess), and will see if I can come up with it. Remember it is uniquely battery type and manufacturer specific.

Thanks, guys.

What I know about electricity, batteries, SOCs, etc., you can put in a thimble. The advantages of a properly installed monitor, however, are obvious. :Thanx:

The advantages of a properly installed monitor, however, are obvious. :Thanx:

UNLESS you are a stock holder in a batt mfg co!

Finished With Project

There are many different screens such as Amps in, amps out, etc. Here are just a few. I should point out that when these photos were taken, the charger was on and several DC units were energized. (Fans, Lights)

Attachments

• SOC Location.jpg
    SOC Location.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 96
  • House Bank.jpg
    House Bank.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Shunt (House-Left)....jpg
    Shunt (House-Left)....jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Starter batt Voltage.jpg
    Starter batt Voltage.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 85
  • SOC (Charger on).jpg
    SOC (Charger on).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I forgot this pic.

Attachments

• House bank Voltage.jpg
    House bank Voltage.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 85
Nah, don't spend too much time on it. It's default value will work well enough over no meter at all.

Back
Top Bottom