Ocean Breeze marine air-conditioner problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
My Ocean Breeze water-cooled marine air-conditioner comes on normally and starts to blow cold air, but after a little bit shuts itself off. There is a line on the QU288 digital wall control which says "check filter." Anyone know where the filter might be located? Or any thoughts on why it would shut itself off? I'm not sure just exactly where to start.

John

maybe raw water filter? are you getting a good flow out the discharge?

if not that...right near the unit there may be a filter or screen where the return air is....that should be clean as well as the filter if any and the coils should be clean.

maybe raw water filter? are you getting a good flow out the discharge?

if not that...right near the unit there may be a filter or screen where the return air is....that should be clean as well as the filter if any and the coils should be clean.

I checked with Ocean Breeze and they said that the "clean filter" message was meaningless, since my unit does not have a filter.

Right now I am zeroing in on your first comment, about not having a good raw water flow. Ocean Breeze suggested that, the PO suggested it, and now you suggest it. So it seems to be a likely candidate.

Thanks for the reply.

John

should look like a garden hose on pretty high coming out...

of course that depends on your discharge hose/thru hull...there are tables that tell minimum flow rate....

My Ocean Breeze water-cooled marine air-conditioner comes on normally and starts to blow cold air, but after a little bit shuts itself off. There is a line on the QU288 digital wall control which says "check filter." Anyone know where the filter might be located? Or any thoughts on why it would shut itself off? I'm not sure just exactly where to start.

John

John,

The flow of cooling water to the A/C unit starts with the raw water pickup, which can become restricted with debris or marine growth. Next in line is the sea-cock which must be fully open, the raw water strainer which must be clean, the supply lines that must be unrestricted, the raw water pump that must be pumping, the A/C condensing coil and finally, the discharge fitting. They all must be all be clean and clear and functioning for the A/C unit to work well.

How long since the condensing coil has been cleaned? Even with what appears to be adequate water flow, if the interior of condensing coil is coated with scale or marine growth, it will not be able to remove the heat from the refrigerant. The compressor high pressure switch will cycle the system off to protect the compressor from damage.

You can back-flush the condensing coil with a garden hose. This will remove the loose stuff, but to really clean it you will need to use acid or one of the specialty products manufactured just for coil cleaning. I would definitely look this up in the owner's manual or call Ocean Breeze to get their recommended procedure for coil cleaning. Most manufacturers recommend cleaning/flushing the condensing coil annually or more often if the local water conditions require it. The chemicals can be pretty nasty too, so this might be something you want to leave to a pro.

Here is a source for Marine A/C troubleshooting information you might find helpful or confusing, as the case may be:

Marine Air Conditioning Forum, Advice and Store - Dometic Cruisair, Marine Airrrr, Air Conditioning parts and systems on yachts and boats

As psneeld suggested, check the evaporator coil. If clogged or restricted, the evaporator can ice up and cause the system to shut down.

Those are the obvious things you can easily check yourself. Anything more and I would personally call a professional for service.

Good luck :thumb:

Sounds to me like a drop of water may be in the system and the dryer will need replacement.

A set of gauges will tell all.

Back
Top Bottom