Cats Rescued/Boat Sinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTPT

Vessel Name
Have Patience
Vessel Make
Navigator 56 Classic
Couple's 2 cats swim to safety after boat explodes off Oregon coast | Fox News

This story is all over the Oregon News today. Focus is on the cats. How amazing it is to rescue cats from the sea! Don't worry about the 60 ft Tuna boat. Captain and wife are safe. Rescued by another boat in the area. Curious how an engine "explodes" blowing a 1 foot hole in the side of the hull? Cats were more amazing and got way more press than the boat sinking. Blown turbo? Rod through the crank case? No fire reported. Thoughts?

As the owners were reported as having minor flash burns, I would guess this was a gasoline engine. Diesel generally will not explode.

A backfire, leaky exhaust, leaky and poorly ventilated engine room perhaps. Bang - and she pops a few planks.

I won't mention what I think about the cats.

Last edited:
Shame about the cats isn't it.:mad::mad:
Some crabs missed out on a pretty average feed.
Cheers
Benn

Wait til Hopcar reads that. Meooooow!
I recently heard of an onboard cat going overboard overnight found safe onshore next morning.Despite a reputed aversion to water, they can swim.
We once rescued a young currawong(mid size native bird) which had landed on the water and used its wings like paddles to get ashore. Fortunately no cats out swimming that day.

Awww come on guys...we have two cats..don't be so ugly...LOL

The cat critics are dog owners who have to leave the boat to walk them because dogs are not smart enough to use a litter box.:flowers:

The cat critics are dog owners who have to leave the boat to walk them because dogs are not smart enough to use a litter box.:flowers:
Very true! I love cats & dogs but a cat would be a lot easier to have aboard. :blush:

Whilst hiking ashore, would your cat stand between you and a charging Grizzly, Black Bear, Cougar, Wolverine, Moose, or jugular shredding Bunny Rabbits?

Attachments

• Zain Klewnugget lifevest.jpg
    Zain Klewnugget lifevest.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 85
As the owners were reported as having minor flash burns, I would guess this was a gasoline engine. Diesel generally will not explode.

A backfire, leaky exhaust, leaky and poorly ventilated engine room perhaps. Bang - and she pops a few planks.

I won't mention what I think about the cats.

Gas engine powering a 60 foot tuna boat with $40,000 worth of tuna on board. I don't think so. Doubt there are any 60 ft commercial boats out there with gas engines. Anybody else?

Gas engine powering a 60 foot tuna boat with $40,000 worth of tuna on board. I don't think so. Doubt there are any 60 ft commercial boats out there with gas engines. Anybody else?

Propane leak?

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that the damn cats started the fire! Unlike loveable dogs, they're not to be trusted.

I got the impression from the article that this boat was refitted on a shoestring budget, so thought gas engine may have been a possibility.

Also could have been a propane leak ignited by the backfire, causing explosion, popping planks.

A dog would have sensed the leak, and warned the owner.;)

Maybe they didn't clean the kitty litter tray for so long, the resultant fumes spontaneously combusted.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that the damn cats started the fire! Unlike loveable dogs, they're not to be trusted.

Cats don't forget. When you least expect it ...........:eek::facepalm:

Looking for facts from the media is as bad as looking for them in forums....:rofl:

Gas engine...possible but I doubt it.

Backfiring? could be newspeak for "I don't understand 99% of what is being said in this interview"

Propane on a commercial boat is a possibility...

Hole in the hull may have started the fire not been the result of it.

so back to square one.....reviewing an accident solely from eye witness accounts or news reports is as productive as using a Ouija board to investigate them.

so back to square one.....reviewing an accident solely from eye witness accounts or news reports is as productive as using a Ouija board to investigate them.

I have always found the Ouija to be quite reliable.:confused:

I have always found the Ouija to be quite reliable.:confused:

Hey...and it doubles as a chartplotters for most boaters too!!! :thumb:

Hope to cross paths with you someday...Ouiji board nav will probably make it happen.:eek:

So many seem to come back to the cats as the source of the explosion. While I think they should probably held accountable, anybody think a turbo explosion could do this? Not trying to diminish the cats role, just wondering.

Turbo explosion? Not sure I've ever heard of a marine/automotive turbo explosion doing that kind of damage external to the engine...aircraft turbines a different story

So many seem to come back to the cats as the source of the explosion. While I think they should probably held accountable, anybody think a turbo explosion could do this? Not trying to diminish the cats role, just wondering.

At the risk of offending the cats, yes I think it could be possible. A diesel fuel leak under high pressure could put out a mist of fuel. It would be hard to say if an overheated turbo could set it off, but I think possible. In my early life I was a sale manager for architectural hardwood plywood products. Our mills producing the product had to have dust controls because of flash dust explosion possibility. Silos have exploded by dust ignition. It certainly seems possible that diesel fuel mist could explode. Look up fuel air or thermobaric bombs.

Geez, Al! Cats are great onboard! :blush:

Attachments

• Kitty Walking.jpg
    Kitty Walking.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 74
Keep that up SHII, and I might have to put you on my ignore list. :socool::flowers:

Another possibility is an explosive device was used to blow open the fish hold containing $40,000 worth of tuna.
No sir...you just can't trust them.

Cats do fall overboard once in awhile but they can also contribute to the cleaning of the boat.

Attachments

• Sometimes They fall Overboard.jpg
    Sometimes They fall Overboard.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Making a Contribution.jpg
    Making a Contribution.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom