Leaving boat in FL over the summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magicbus

Were going south for the first time and really have no clue where we will end up except that it will be on the East coast of Florida probably not below Ft Pierce. Any suggestions of places to spend the winter are welcome.

The following winter we plan to do the Keys and West Coast so we plan to leave the boat over the summer stored on the hard under shrinkwrap and are looking for suggestions for boatyards. Our insurance company is pushing us for the name of a yard before we renew as well as a copy of their hurricane plan. I can fill out the plan - on the hard and under wrap - but it would help them and me if I had an idea before we get there.

I would also like to hear any insurance thoughts from others who may have left their boat in FL during hurricane season.

Thanks,
Dave

Try Cracker Boys or Harbor Town Marina in Ft. Pierce. We are at Ft. Pierce City Marina. We haul for storms at Cracker Boys.

Indian Town Marina on the OWW does storage on the hard as do a couple of others on the OWW. Probably a little more storm protection more inland.

I know it was brought up in another tread, but you are aware of the Florida 90 day rule, right?

We stay at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart, FL. Great place if you can get a slip as it is usually pretty booked up. You could also consider Loggerhead Marina in Stuart. They have fixed and floating docks as well as a pool, bar and restaurant.

For in water I highly rec. Loggerhead in Vero Beach, best hurricane protection on the East coast of Fl. also my home port. Google map the harbor to see why. Gated security and very safe and secure marina.

Regards,

This is a commercial place that will store you on the hard or for big bucks put your boat in a large air cond building.

RFYC LABELLE

About 1/4 mile from our hurricane hole home area , where a number of folks will rent out their dock to cruisers.

The most common price is $200 a month with battery charge electric included.

Thanks for the information. My insurance company is insisting on a storage location prior to quoting so I guess I will need to pick something. That FT Myers spot looks nice but on the wrong coast - maybe the following year.

Scottedavis, re the 90 day rule, I saw something about it here but can't find the thread, could you possibly post a link?

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks for the information. My insurance company is insisting on a storage location prior to quoting so I guess I will need to pick something. That FT Myers spot looks nice but on the wrong coast - maybe the following year.

Scottedavis, re the 90 day rule, I saw something about it here but can't find the thread, could you possibly post a link?

Thanks,
Dave

Sure Dave, but I think it would be easier to just check out these links first.

Florida Boat Tax – Major July 1, 2010 Change

Florida Dept. of Revenue - Florida Dept. of Revenue

The key is you need (to be compliant) to leave the state and have proof you left (fuel receipt, slip receipt or some other proof) the state for a day every 90 days to avoid paying Fl. tax.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/needing-some-opinions-10926.html

You will get all kinds of opinions on the enforcement of this law and folks will tell you that everyone ignores it but I don't believe that is good financial advice. You make you're own decisions based on you're risk profile.

Regards, Scott

As you travel south, you might want to save a few fuel receipts. Florida should be paying cruisers to come there and spend their $$ at marinas, restaurants, malls etc. Don't like to rant, but this one really upsets me. :banghead:

As you travel south, you might want to save a few fuel receipts. Florida should be paying cruisers to come there and spend their $$ at marinas, restaurants, malls etc. Don't like to rant, but this one really upsets me. :banghead:

I know, good thing CT. doesn't have any crazy taxes. :hide:

"Beginning Monday, boats docked in Connecticut for 60 days or less will be exempt from the sales and use tax. And a 7 percent luxury tax will be reduced to 6.35 percent on boats costing more than $100,000."

http://www.wtnh.com/news/hartford-cty/scaled-back-connecticut-boat-taxes-take-effect

Last edited:
Oh man now I'm even more confused! I read the links and nowhere did I read that I have to leave Florida every 90 days??? I'm not buying a boat, I've owned it for 3 years (and paid a hefty tax to NJ for the privilege!). What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dave

Oh man now I'm even more confused! I read the links and nowhere did I read that I have to leave Florida every 90 days??? I'm not buying a boat, I've owned it for 3 years (and paid a hefty tax to NJ for the privilege!). What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dave

If I'm reading the law correctly, it states that you would owe little, or no use or sales tax if you've already paid tax in another state, i.e. N.J. If the tax rate was less than Florida's 6%, you would owe the difference...limited to a maximum of $18,000. So if NJ's sales tax is 6% or greater, you're home free. Hope I'm not leading you astray amigo!

If I'm reading the law correctly, it states that you would owe little, or no use or sales tax if you've already paid tax in another state, i.e. N.J. If the tax rate was less than Florida's 6%, you would owe the difference...limited to a maximum of $18,000. So if NJ's sales tax is 6% or greater, you're home free. Hope I'm not leading you astray amigo!

That's what I thought until I read this in the link...

Use tax and surtax will become due when you title and/or register the boat in Florida. Florida titling and/or registration must occur:

•​
Within 30 days after purchase.

•​
Within 90 days after the boat enters Florida, if the boat is documented, titled, and/or registered in another state.

A boat that remains in Florida for more than 90 consecutive days or more than 183 days in a one-year period is taxable, unless it qualifies for another exemption.

To me...even though I paid 7% in NJ...the last para get us all....

I know this is true. a number of years ago when I lived on Big Pine Key I moved my RV registration there from NJ and filed the paperwork and owed no tax because I had paid 7% in NJ and/or owned it for more than 6 months.

What I'm hearing here is that I can't cruise Florida waters for more than 90 days at a time. I'm just hoping to get clarification on this.

Dave

Thanks,
Dave

Well the law says if the boat stays longer then 90 days it becomes taxable, so by logic if it stays 89 days then leaves for a day the next day it starts a day 1 again.

1* "Even if the boat is not initially taxable in Florida, however, the vessel will again become taxable at a rate of 6% of fair market value if the boat remains in Florida for 90 consecutive days or 183 days within a calendar year.

2* "Use tax and surtax will become due when you title and/or register the boat in Florida. Florida titling and/or registration must occur:
• Within 30 days after purchase.
Within 90 days after the boat enters Florida, if the boat is documented, titled, and/or registered in another state."

1* http://www.boattax.com/ma-florida 2010 cap-htm/

2* Florida Dept. of Revenue - Florida Dept. of Revenue

BTW this also applies to aircraft, RV's, autos and trucks.

Check with the Dept. of Motor Vehicles you may very well get credit for the tax paid in NJ and just as easely be able to get a Florida registration sticker, should be around $200-300 bucks.

Last edited:
What I'm hearing here is that I can't cruise Florida waters for more than 90 days at a time. I'm just hoping to get clarification on this.

Dave

I think you can get a Fl. cruse permit for up to 180 days. I don't have the time now to research it but Google is your friend.

This link is a very complete PDF covering this topic.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/sigs/boat_external.pdf

also another site thread on this permit.
http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/g.../13614-fla-cruising-permit-vs-tax-way-go.html

Still kinda rude...90 days? Even NJ gives you 180 days before they stick you...

Especially if your boat is generating tax revenue just by being there, you getting there and leaving there.

But I understand the concept...keep resident costs down and stick vacationers...tough decisions for people who advise the lawmakers as I too live/work in a resort area.

Well OK, I found those two quotes, but then I found this in the myflorida.com link:

Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet all of the following conditions:

• You own the boat 6 months or longer, and
• You have shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase, and
• The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S.
territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the
6-month period.

I have also heard of the 180 cruising permit so I will research that when I get time and see what that's all about.

Interestingly enough, my insurance agent now says that if I haul out for hurricane season north of Cumberland Island, GA I will save a bundle on premiums. I know even less about GA!

Dave

Still kinda rude...90 days? Even NJ gives you 180 days before they stick you...

Especially if your boat is generating tax revenue just by being there, you getting there and leaving there.

But I understand the concept...keep resident costs down and stick vacationers...tough decisions for people who advise the lawmakers as I too live/work in a resort area.

Yep I know, but most states all do it, as I noted above CT only allows 60 days.

Think of it like buying a $200k Fl. condo, you would pay yearly property tax's PLUS a real estate sales tax at time of purchase. Now if you buy a $200k boat in Delaware (no tax) and brought it to Fl. and parked it at your brother in-laws house to live in for 6 months out of the year, what tax does the state get? The boat is a one time shot so in the long run the boat is a better (tax) deal.

Well OK, I found those two quotes, but then I found this in the myflorida.com link:

Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet all of the following conditions:

• You own the boat 6 months or longer, and
• You have shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase, and
• The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S.
territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the
6-month period.

I have also heard of the 180 cruising permit so I will research that when I get time and see what that's all about.

Interestingly enough, my insurance agent now says that if I haul out for hurricane season north of Cumberland Island, GA I will save a bundle on premiums. I know even less about GA!

Dave

Dave, call the states toll free number 800-352-3671 , or stop in at a DMV office. You really want the straight scoop, Not a bunch of interpretations from all over the country. This is not an unusual question for them.

Still think what I posted applies...the 90 day rule...while what Majicbus posted is also included in that link..the 90 "issue" is brought up separately.

I think the confusion (as in NJ too DMV vs taxation))....is all those exemptions are for sales/use tax....

but after 90 days...you have to register in FL...at that point you have to go to FL DMV and prove those exemption and show where you paid 6% or more in sales tax. The will then register you for the requisite couple hundred bucks AND collect any sales/use tax if you paid less than 6% someplace else.

I may have it all wrong too...but that's my understanding of what I have read here and it follows as it's been that way in the several states I've been stationed/lived in.

PS, I hope your interpretation is correct, it is not that way in most other states but one never knows.

I wonder why they call it both a tax and a surtax (use)? Seems like they (the state) mean two separate items.

Out of curiosity is this really a thing, I mean if a marina knows you are out of state and rents you a slip for say 4-5 months.?

How would the marina have any way of knowing your tax status with the state? Would they even care as long as your check clears?

Greetings,
Be VERY wary of any information you receive from ANY government agency over the phone. The majority of government "experts" I have dealt with looking for information aren't even aware of what planet their on much less the interpretations of any specific "law" you might want explained. That being said, I have experienced excellent service from some employees. Question is, who do you believe?
If at all possible get an answer IN WRITING with an explanation in unambiguous plain language also IN WRITING...(good luck with THAT one).

...Interestingly enough, my insurance agent now says that if I haul out for hurricane season north of Cumberland Island, GA I will save a bundle on premiums. I know even less about GA!

Dave

Dave: Talk to another agent. Insurance agents, you have to love'em or hate'em. :)

Every year we submit our anticipated itinerary for the next policy year which runs October 1 to October 1. Our annual premium varies with the itinerary. This year, by June 1 we were to be in Brunswick, Georgia or further north. This past May 23rd we're still in the Bahamas. We email or agent saying we won't make it to Georgia this year and will be keeping the boat in Jacksonville, FL. The underwriters came back with navigation limits now including all of the Bahamas, to Brownsville TX and all of Florida for an additional $64/year. They did want to know what the primary location of Hobo would be and we had already submitted a hurricane plan.

I may be wrong but the insurance market seems pretty competitive so I would shop/ask around.

Dave: Talk to another agent. Insurance agents, you have to love'em or hate'em. :)

Every year we submit our anticipated itinerary for the next policy year which runs October 1 to October 1. Our annual premium varies with the itinerary. This year, by June 1 we were to be in Brunswick, Georgia or further north. This past May 23rd we're still in the Bahamas. We email or agent saying we won't make it to Georgia this year and will be keeping the boat in Jacksonville, FL. The underwriters came back with navigation limits now including all of the Bahamas, to Brownsville TX and all of Florida for an additional $64/year. They did want to know what the primary location of Hobo would be and we had already submitted a hurricane plan.

I may be wrong but the insurance market seems pretty competitive so I would shop/ask around.

Very good advice...:thumb:

Dave, call the states toll free number 800-352-3671 , or stop in at a DMV office. You really want the straight scoop, Not a bunch of interpretations from all over the country. This is not an unusual question for them.
Yup I agree. I will stop in when I'm down there - I have lots of experience with FLDMV trying to register vehicles. I still keep my old vehicle tag so when I eventually move back I can get register it and save the plate fee!

Regards,
Dave

How would the marina have any way of knowing your tax status with the state? Would they even care as long as your check clears?

OK that is very true, I guess what I meant to say, has anyone heard of people getting tagged for taxes while in Florida, never seen or heard of it here in NY and some boats go back to Florida for the winter.

My read of the law is that even though the boat is "taxable" the tax due would be zero if, as the OP stated, he paid 7% in NJ...1% more than Florida's 6%. Just because the vessel is "taxable" does not mean he will owe anything. Years ago I brought a little sailboat I lived aboard from California to Florida and registered it in Florida. Because I was able to show I had paid tax on the boat in California, I owed no additional tax in Florida. My only expense was the cost of registration in Florida, which was nominal...less than $100. I believe this still to be the case.

Back
Top Bottom