Fisherman Rescued in Hawaii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
Coast Guard Sector Honolulu received a distress call at 7:41 a.m., from Wichman's spouse notifying watchstanders that her husband's 14-foot Livingston boat was capsized south of Port Allen. Wichman was fishing in the area when he hooked a 230 lb. Ahi that subsequently capsized his boat. When his boat capsized, his leg was caught in the fishing line and he was dragged underwater. After freeing himself, he was able to get on top of the hull and call his wife for help....“This rescue is a perfect example of why mariners must be sure they have good safety equipment and reliable communications before heading out on the water,” said Lt. Jessica Mickelson, Sector Honolulu's Public Affairs Officer. “Thankfully Mr. Wichman was still able to use his cell phone after capsizing and entering the water. Sector Honolulu was able to work in conjunction with 911 dispatch to get a GPS position of the capsized vessel from Mr. Wichman's cell phone enabling Coast Guard rescue crews to arrive on scene at the exact location of distress instead of having to conduct a search. At the end of the day, we couldn't have asked for a better rescue. Mr. Wichman was delivered safely to shore with minimal injuries and he and his friends will have quite the indisputable fish tale to tell."

http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007...ued-after-boat-capsizes-near-Port-Allen-Kauai

I remember being in Hilo on the Big Island years ago. A guy drove by with a Boston Whaler Montauk on a trailer. In the seat rodholders were two large trolling rigs offshore stuff with big Penn Internationals. I thought to myself, who is this guy trying to kid. Then It dawned on me that just a couple of hundred yards offshore the water there is as deep as we get 40-50 miles off my Louisiana fishing grounds.
Wichman was really lucky, he recovered his boat and even a nice Ahi for plenty Sashimi.

Steve W

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom