Boat Show Compensation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard

Veteran Member
Hello All,
We are considering a new boat. In today's trawler market, there are some manufacturers and models not shown at the dealer dock or the various boat shows because there is no inventory.
My understanding is that there are arrangements where a dealer and/or manfacturer may compensate the owner of a relatively new boat for allowing the boat to be shown.
If anyone has knowledge of this, I would be interested in learing more about the arrangement. For example - is the compensation in the form of a discount off of the sales price, or it is a per-show basis, etc.
Thank you,
Wizard

I worked as a broker in Annapolis for about a year. If we wanted to show a customer's boat in the Annapolis show, we would give him a discount off of the purchase price. This works when it is a popular model and neither the manufacturer nor the dealer have a similar stock boat in the area.

You might get a couple of percent off of the price that you otherwise wouldn't have gotten. But realize that if it is a popular boat then the dealer naturally isn't going to discount it as much whether he wants to use it in the show or not.

David

I don't understand. If the boat is already owned by a customer, how do you give him a discount off the purchase price?

What am I missing?

I also have to agree with Nsail, maybe the answer is that the owner has ordered a new boat and that one has arrived and only recently been sold so the discount is off the price already paid if they agree in the future to allow to be shown in the future.

Back
Top Bottom