Newbie Questions PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chevytech01

Thanks for the welcome page. Ever since visiting Orcas Island in the PNW last year, I have been struck with boat fever. The more I research the more I like trawlers. I have been reading books and researching trawlers on the internet. I live 200 miles south of Portland Oregon, so I do not get to check out the big ports very often, but when the wife and I do, we like to check out the brokerages. My problem is, we have never been out on a trawler other than charter tuna fishing. My dream is to retire in 5-7 years and trawl the PNW. Concerns we have are; will we enjoy ourselves; will we get bored; can I slow down to “trawler speed of life”; will we be comfortable; ect? We would like to spend a few days on one and see. I hate to spend 5k on a charter boat for a week. (That’s almost enough for mooring and insurance for a year on your own boat.) My question is: Is there a forum or a way to contact owners to become a “guest or crew” for a few days? I live so far from the coast and do not have contacts with trawler owners to just hang out and get a ride. Also, what would be a fair offer to be a guest or crew on a boat? Would paying for fuel, mooring and food (Dine in and out) sound fair? Labor trade? I know a boat is personal possession and with tight quarters, sharing it with others may not be for all.

A little about us:

We are in our late fifties, non smokers, good health, able bodied, professionals. We have owned small sailboats, aluminum boats, and 22ft cuddy cab baylinner. I have 30 years experience as a dealership automotive technician specializing in electronic diagnostics. My wife crewed and sailed the Caribbean in the 80’s.

As far as buying a boat, I am thinking of a displacement trawler, 36’, fiberglass hull, 60-120hp single diesel, 1980’s-1990’s, 50k-75k. Does this sound about right? Big enough to be comfortable, small enough for affordable mooring, insurance, docking ability, and fuel wise. Is a single engine that size steerable at the docks? Dose the fuel savings on a double ender style stern make up for the lost space? Thanks for reading the long post and any feedback would be appreciated.

I have a 1978 34' Californian, fits that pretty close. I got mine for 25K (it was a steal even if it was a project), i have about 40K total invested, and I am not done, but I dont mind at all. It has been usable since day one, just not in great shape. Its still not in great shape (especially compared to the boats these guys on here sport..OMG!!!)

But it is nice and comfortable. If I was going to spend more time on the boat with the wife (longer then long weekends) I would go a bit bigger. When I retire, if my wife wants to spend weeks on a boat I will go to something in the 40+ foot range and probably a pilot house style... I LOVE the sea Ranger 47 foot older models!

Back
Top Bottom