St. Louis to Louisville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David O

Vessel Name
Lucky Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 350 Trawler
I am going to help a friend bring his recently acquired Mainship 400 down the Mississippi and up the Ohio. My question is, looking at the river stages it appears the Mississippi is close to flood stage in some pools and due to crest on 7/4 with 7/4 being the proposed departure date is this wise for this stretch of river?

Having never been on the Mississippi, I would not know how 6 additional feet of water would effect it. I do know that the Ohio would NOT be good at 6' above normal pool. But, fortunately, the Ohio is behaving right now.

I would wait. The river is still in flood stage on portions below St L with the crest predicted after 7/4. You can expect some 7-8 knot currents and lots of trash at these water levels.
Some of the locks north of the StL have been closed due to high water, which backs barge traffic up in St Louis.
Rivergages.com: Providing River Gage Data for Rivers, Streams and Tributaries
You can check with the USCG office in St Louis and they will give you some info on the barge situation.

I would hold off if you can. Surely the river will fall. I did what you are talking about except in the other direction in June of 2011. I live on the Mississippi except nearly 300 miles north of St Louis. I thought I knew what the river was like when it is high. I was wrong. The river below St. Louis is a wicked place during high water. The current can run 8 to 10 mph. I was told this and thought it was an exaggeration. It was not. There are not many safe places to stop at night. Where there are places to anchor in low water, during a flood I would not do it. There is also the problem with driftwood. Or, I should say whole floating forests. Overnight stops include Hoppies Marina about 30 miles or so below STL. The Kaskaskia river, lock thru at the Mississippi at Mile 118, then go upstream about 10 miles to Evansville Il. There is a small Marina there, and it is is possible to have diesel delivered. Next down stream is a drainage ditch just below St Girardeau. That is about it. There is NO available service if you have boat trouble. Go prepared. The good news is will be a fast trip with the current. There are no locks below STL. I can give you more info when I have more time.

Excuse me I had a mental lapse, I was thinking about an at work crisis and not about what I was writing. That is Cape Girardeau.

Thanks so much for the information, guys. We are on a hold right now and will reevaluate the Mississippi River conditions this weekend. We will probably hope to make the trip some time next week.

We'll wait and see.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom