Fuel tank damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partgypsy

Hi
I'm looking for opinions or wild-ass guesses as to what would cause a 1" x 8" dent or buckling of a 700 gallon fuel tank.
The crease/dent is at the bottom edge where the side meets the bottom. There is no leak, but the paint has flaked off. The tank does not leak.
I can only think of*three possibilities:
1- the tank had been sent flying in a rough sea and dropped hard (hard to believe) or 2- something has pushed up against the tank and squeezed it. There is no sign of damage to the hull. It's a wooden boat and there would be cracked frames and other noticeable damage if there had been a collision.*Or
3- the boat is somehow settling from above. Once again... no other visible damage.

I'm puzzled

Thanks

wooden boats can get pretty soft. When was the last time she was hauled. I have seen hulls give 6 or 8 inches when transfered fron the straps to the stands.
SD

If your vent is blocked, the fuel pumps can draw a vacuum on the tank, and it doesn't take too much to cause buckling. Just an idea. Remove the fill cap and see if there was a vacuum.

I agree with Keith, but wouldn't that mean that the vent would have to be blocked as well as the return line, assuming it is a diesel.

Are there valves on the return lines.* Some are plumbed with valves, some not. Check to see if you have them and if they are shut.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom