Tacoma, Wa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amdavis

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Neaptide
Vessel Make
tung hwa clipper 30
Just put 62 gals in our Tung Hwa Clipper "Neaptide" at Breakwater marina, $250, $3.98 or so per gal. First time fueling this boat witch we've only had since April. A tad bit different than the Newport 28 sailboat we had before then it was put 5 gallons in a plastic jerry can and we were good for another couple of months.

How much moorage did you pay last month?

And that fuel will probably last more than a month.

If you tally up all the costs like insurance, oil changes, blister repair, varnish, new batteries ect ect that $250 in fuel will seem almost trivial.

Yachting in anywhere the traditional way (like most of us) is expensive.

Eric, I wasn't complaining about the cost of the fuel, 62 gals at 1 1/2 to 2 gals per hour will likely last us all summer and into fall. Just noting the difference in filling our new trawler compared to our old sailboat. They say the wind is free, but have you priced sails?

First time fueling this boat which we've only had since April.

We'll be fueling our boat for the first time (also purchased in April and now berthed in Tacoma) over the next few weeks, but will probably be taking on 500 - 600 gallons of fuel to replace what was burned bringing her up the coast. So, it could be worse! Lots worse! :eek: :D

We'll be fueling our boat for the first time (also purchased in April and now berthed in Tacoma) over the next few weeks, but will probably be taking on 500 - 600 gallons of fuel to replace what was burned bringing her up the coast. So, it could be worse! Lots worse! :eek: :D

Scott, Des Moines had diesel at $3.56 as of last week (tax included, I believe). That's $1.03 cheaper a gallon than Shilsole!

We took on 500 gallons about 3 weeks ago- you know where we filled up!!

Thanks Peter, that's where I was planning on filling up. Did they give any extra discount for the 500 gallons?

BTW, is your boat moored at Shilshole? We were up there Saturday.

Last edited:
No, sir- we are on Lake Union (west side, by China Harbor).

They didn't give us a discount- but, then again, they were the lowest by far to begin with....

Here in Port McNeill where I'm at right now, diesel is $1.39 a litre. That's $4.45 a US gallon. A Fleming 55 just pulled up for a fill up. Ouch!!

For you East Coast people, Port McNeill is at the north end of Vancouver Island. It is sunny but blowing around 20 knots.

Ron

For you East Coast people, Port McNeill is at the north end of Vancouver Island. It is sunny but blowing around 20 knots.

As it was a week ago in Victoria.

232323232%7Ffp54364%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3B%3B7293336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54392%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C36698336nu0mrj

Here in Port McNeill where I'm at right now, diesel is $1.39 a litre. That's $4.45 a US gallon. A Fleming 55 just pulled up for a fill up. Ouch!!

Ron

Sounds like a great trip, Ron. How far north are you going this time?

Sounds like a great trip, Ron. How far north are you going this time?

I think we are just going to stay in the Broughton's this year, Al. We need to come to Port McNeill about every 2 weeks to resupply and do the laundry.

Strong wind warnings have been a constant companion for us this year and that makes a trip around Cape Caution something the admiral won't consider. There is only the open Pacific ocean throwing its beam seas at you. Yesterday would have been the day to go however. Egg Island, one of the weather stations on the way around Cape Caution, was reporting calm seas. The first time we heard that since we got here. Oh well.

Ron

The week before last week we took on many tons, not gallons, of fuel. Bet we got the wholesale price!

232323232%7Ffp734%3A4%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C36693336nu0mrj

Strong wind warnings have been a constant companion for us this year and that makes a trip around Cape Caution something the admiral won't consider. There is only the open Pacific ocean throwing its beam seas at you. Yesterday would have been the day to go however. Egg Island, one of the weather stations on the way around Cape Caution, was reporting calm seas. The first time we heard that since we got here. Oh well. Ron

Ahh, the ol' "You should have been here yesterday" trick!

The Old-Put-Together-All-The-Old-Get-Smart-Tricks Trick - YouTube

It was calm here and very inexpensive to refuel.

Attachments

• fueling dinghy.jpg
    fueling dinghy.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 117
Scott, Des Moines had diesel at $3.56 as of last week (tax included, I believe). That's $1.03 cheaper a gallon than Shilsole!

We took on 500 gallons about 3 weeks ago- you know where we filled up!!

It was told this weekend that Des Moines fuel dock has closed.:nonono:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom