Headliner replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dach side

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
36' sabreline fast trawler
Has anyone replaced traditional headliner with vinyl beadboard? Any reason it shouldn't be done?

several years ago I remade all the headliner on my boat with a T & G plastic beaded product as shown. I found it at the local big box home improvement store. They may still carry a similar product.

The ceilings are built with laminated 'beams' on 13" centers. These provide a 2.5" space for wiring etc. Caps for these beams are simply screwed wood battens.

I cut these pieces to length, interlocked the pieces which are held in place by the battens. I also put a dab of clear caulk on the end of each row to keep things in place.

Should I need to get into the ceiling it is a rather easy matter of removing a batten or two then unlocking the row of headliner pieces.

These came with a semi-gloss white finish which nicely fits with the look we wanted.

The Admiral regularly says this was one of the best cosmetic upgrades done to the boat.

Attachments

• headliner.jpg
    headliner.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 437
Reactions: JAT
Has anyone replaced traditional headliner with vinyl beadboard? Any reason it shouldn't be done?

No but several years ago I replaced my headliner with traditional vinyl headliner and wished I hadn't. I ordered it from Sailrite, usually a great supplier, but it mildewed almost right away whereas the old headliner, although damaged, never mildewed. I cleaned it, it mildewed right away again. I cleaned it again and sprayed with "mildew preventer" but by this time it was stained from the mildew. I'll have to paint it with mildewproof paint to make it right.

Next time it's beadboard for me and I'll paint it first.

Bshanafelt, thanks for the reply, it looks very nice & "nautical". Did you notice any difference in noise levels? Our headliner is backed by 1/2" foam; didn't know if it would be noisier.

I just left the 1" foam board in place where I could in the cavity.

Can't really say if it helps with noise levels, since I have never had it out, but I am sure it doesn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom