Replacement doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Mahalo's entry doors are dead and due to the way they were manufactured, it looks like a hell of a job to repair so I am considering replacing them. Anyone been down this road before?

I'm thinking a solid door made of mahogany or teak if I can find it.

E

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 105
Plywood is usually the easiest to work with with a veneer of whatever you like glued outside.

We will be making a set of dutch doors so we can handle bigger slop , and ventilate as FL requires.

A sheet of 3/4" teak veneer marine plywood is about $180 but I bet your doors are more than 2' wide so you need 2 sheets. Making paneled doors from solid lumber will look much better for sure but it is a job for an experienced cabinetmaker and requires specialized tools & equipment. Re-veneering the existing doors is also an option if the cores are still good and they could be done in teak. They won't look like paneled doors when you are done but they don't now anyway and this would be the cheapest avenue by far. They look like they have an aluminum channel around them
this could be removed, the veneer planed off and replaced

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Wood Doors

Style and rail doors would be the best solution. Teak or Mahogany wood be the best choice. Solid , as in a slab the size of a door, is difficult to keep from swelling and warping. Style and rail design allows for some swelling of the panels without distortion or warping.
Most cabinet shops are set up to build cabinet doors. There are also custom door builders as well.
You could glue up plywood panels with epoxy, hope they remain stable and the thin veneers don't sand though. It would be best to glue the panels in a press of some kind. The plywood panels are not usually flat enough to glue up without pressure. A flat surface and a stack of 15 sheets or so of 3/4 mdf has worked for me in the past as a poor mans press.
I have built doors using a router and style and rail bits with success, however you need to dowel, or use floating tendons, to tie the rails to the styles.
Another option wood be to just build your rails s4s and use a round over bit to profile the inner edges of the frame and dado the groove for the panel with a router. The panel could be 1/2" teak plywood single or doubled up. Again you would need to use dowels or tendons to tie the frame together. The panels need to float in the frame to allow for movement between the panels and frame.
One of the challenges in building doors is keeping them perfectly flat. all of the solid wood should be machined from rough lumber as surfaced lumber is seldom flat enough to work with. If you have some basic wood working skills and tools, building doors is not rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom