Is Baker on "furlough"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I haven't seen John Baker post this much in years! (Which I think is great!) Is he on furlough or just playing hooky until his refit is done? :blush:

Attachments

• Carver 45.jpg
    Carver 45.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 75
I'm glad he's back and posting too. I was beginning to wonder if he had been freeze dried or doing hard time? :)

I'm here...and just seeing this post. 2012 was a pretty tough year on me....new aircraft and being on reserve whooped my ass. Add a couple of "life events" and it adds up to a busy year.

A positive life event is the acquisition of this new boat. She is on the hard now and I am "shooting the money gun" at it....as the rednecks say. Hopefully the ammo will last long enough to get what I need done!!!
All new props.....rudders...shafts...new cutlass bearings(there are 4!)...new rear seals on the shaft tube. A few blisters repaired...a bottom job.....and I think that is it...I HOPE THAT IS IT!

My boats up to this point have been fairly simple. This will be the most complex boat I have owned. And technically, it is just simple X2 as it has at least two of everything.

It should be out of the yard by the end of this week. And then hopefully the seatrial with all the new gear will go well. The biggest question mark is the pitch on the props as they left the factory at 23x28 and we are launching at 23x24. It might end up being underpropped but that is okay. Worst case scenario is we have a diver pull the props and repitch them. I already have the word of the prop folks that "they'll take care of me" if that is what to happen. We have a few really good choices of prop folks around here due to the support of the oil industry around here.

Another big issue is the engines under load. I bought the boat without being able to run them under load(at a BIG discount) due to the condition of the running gear. I guess worse case scenario here is that the turbos are frozen up. Not the end of the world but let's hope that is not the case. Otherwise, the guys at Land and Sea(authorized Cummins folks) had pretty high confidence that the engines were just fine.

Anyway, wish me luck and I will certainly report back. I am headed down to the yard right now to check up on her and see where they are at. They are waiting on the shafts as they are being machined and should be ready by Tuesdayish. Once the shafts arrive, it should be just a matter of putting everything together and putting it into the water...we shall see!!! The guy doing the work has a great reputation and has been doing this stuff for years. He does great work and works at a fairly reasonable price!!! We shall see!!!!!!!

Baker

I will add one more thing. I know a Carver is not a trawler. But one of the advantages of buying a boat from an American "mass producer' is that you still have factory support. I enjoyed that while owning the Mainship...although I lost it when they went through bankruptcy. Hopefully Marlow will pick up where Mainship left off.

It is quite nice to be able to call Carver and them have a full file on your boat and be able to tell you how it left the factory and with what equipment and where you can go to get replacement parts. Anyway, quite a luxury if you ask me. Catalina also did a great job as it relates to this as well. Beneteau...not nearly as well.

Just a little tidbit of info for folks looking at their next purchase.

John,
Hope it all goes well at the trials. "The money gun" I like that, busy emptying the magazine on mine at the moment.
Refit time isn't it grand, a grand at a time.
Cheers
Benn

John,
Hope it all goes well at the trials. "The money gun" I like that, busy emptying the magazine on mine at the moment.
Refit time isn't it grand, a grand at a time.
Cheers
Benn

A grand at a time?

Lucky, lucky people...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom