Car Talk... split from solar again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deckofficer

aronhk_md, I never caught your first name, but as the OP of this thread and allowing a drift to cars, show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Dart 427, 526 hp @ 5700, 556 lb/ft @ 4400, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed with 0.64 OD, Jag IRS 3.54 and 31" tires, but its main claim to fame is tips the scales at 1790 lbs.

VERY nice Bob! I was admiring it in your icon. lol

The one of mine I mentioned is a 73 Trans Am, 462ci, Bill Miller aluminum rods, forged dished pistons and ported/polished Edelbrock heads. Air is squeezed by a Garrett 4788 turbo and passes through a CSU built blow through carb and augmented with progressive methanol/water injection under boost. She's intercooled too.

In a previous life it had a smaller turbo, more restrictive exhaust and stock heads with a mild port. At that time it made 1068 hp and 998 ft lbs torque at 5500 and 5200 rpm respectively (crank) at 15 psi. Our current estimates with the new heads flowing almost 30% more now at all lift and the bigger more efficient turbo are in the 1200 hp range at around 5500 rpm. Conservatively. Engine/timing cover/pan/etc is painted House of Kolors Galaxy Grey base/clear coat after smoothing the block. Heads and intake were polished by hand from 60 grit down.

But its not built to go in a straight line only. Front end weight has been reduced a number of ways, including the one piece tilt front end, suspension, engine and body changes that also lowered overall weight a bit. She's now around 3600 pounds (still a porker. lol), but weight distribution went from 60/40 front to rear to 54/46. She sports 18" wheels with 295/30/18 rubber all the way around and a corvette style front suspension with a single monoleaf composite leafspring and A-arms made by Vette Brake Products.

The idea is to be able to stick with a modern vette around corners and blow it away on the straights. I'm hoping to do some Pike's Peak tye racing with it at some point.

Oh, and Vintage Air A/C. She's not quite back on the road yet so the main pic is a little old and the wheels, paint etc have changed, but this will give you an idea. Her webpage is also at 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455, Garrett 77mm turbo & Methanol injected - American Torque .com but I haven't updated it in a while.

My other car is a 67 Grand Prix convertible. Only year they made a convertible, and about 5600 built. Mine is one of 205 with a manual trans. They are in the floor console with a Hurst shifter. Most people checked the little box though and got the optional 4 spd. Mine is the only one I've seen so far that had the base 3 spd, also in the floor console. Although I have heard reports of 2-3 others. Interesting note: Pontiac didn't have their own 3 spd capable of handling their V-8s. So all through the 60's into the 70's they contracted with Ford. Its a Ford toploader.

The main pic below is a couple of years old so doesn't show the new wheels, tires, tilt front end, etc. The car will be painted soon. Turbo is not installed in that pic either. I also have fuel injection on the shelf for it, but too much going on right now to install.

Attachments

• TA3.jpg
    TA3.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 71
  • TA2.jpg
    TA2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 68
  • TA.jpg
    TA.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Again, I've missed your first name and since we seem to have a lot in common I'd like to be on a first name basis. This is something I'm sure you are already aware of, but turbocharging with a centrifugal blower for hp is a lot easier on the power train than supercharging with a positive displacement blower. Torque and hp is much more linear with centrifugal compressors so a drive train that has been beefed up to handle 1000 hp with a positive displacement blower will survive at 1200+ hp with the centrifugal compressor. With both an intercooler and 50/50 water methanol injection, it sounds like you have a desire to run some serious boost.

My ride is also set up for cornering. I did it the low tech way by mounting my engine and transmission so low in the frame rails that my CG is spindle height or lower, thus no moment-arm, so no leaning in the curves. Can't run a stock oil pan because it would have just 3/4" clearance to the road. If I had room for the tank I would go to a dry sump. I dial in both engine tune and chassis set up using the G-Tech 3 axis accelerometer. I ran at Sacramento Raceway on the Wednesday night "Run what you brung" when I heard their scales were broken. With the 355 engine which produced 386 hp turned a 10.8 @ 132, same as the G-Tech reported. My next engine was a personal experiment, 350 block, 400 crank externally balanced 383 built for lots of torque as low as I could get it. On the dyno 320 hp @ 4050 and 516 lb/ft @ 2800. Boy could I short shift it with all that torque so low in the rpm band. Geared it high for quiet ride and good mpg, broke 30 mpg going to LA at 70 mph and 1700 rpm. This picture will give you a good idea how tall it is geared, plus the torque pulling a steep hill in top gear at 1025 rpm.

Stretching the legs a bit

Of course the latest engine, the 427, will not have any of that sub 2000 rpm driving, so now never have the opportunity to even use 5th gear.

CA State Highway 153 is about a half-mile long.

Hey Bob....sorry, I have been very busy the last month or so. I'm Aron. That's a great ride you have there indeed!

Hey Bob....sorry, I have been very busy the last month or so. I'm Aron. That's a great ride you have there indeed!

Thanks Aron. I'm currently in a hotel room in Carson City, Nevada with 100 other T-bucket owners from all over the States for our national convention. First time I can remember the event being held this far west, as most years it is in the humid Mid West.

Bob...my question to you is...how do you fit 100 people into a hotel room? lol. Just kidding. My sense of humor is warped. Sounds like a good time. I have never been to Nevada, but my guess is its a better vacation than the Midwest.

I'm not a big fan of humidty, so yes I like it better. On Thursday will be taking the Buckets out for a cruise around Lake Tahoe. For the folks from the Midwest who have never experienced Tahoe summer time weather and the scenic backdrops will be in for a treat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom