Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whale Rider

Attachments

• Whale Rider.JPG
    Whale Rider.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 159
This is not so much an interesting boat as an interesting attempt at a boat. It's Huckin's entry into the compeition for the Navy contracts for PT boats in 1940. Huckins was and I guess still is, a premier designer and manufacturer of power cruisers and yachts. Their work, so far as I've been given to understand, is top notch.

This same quality and attention to detail went into the PT boat they designed and built, but the design was not very supportive of the mission. For one thing, the boat could carry only two torpedoes instead of four. Also, during the competition, while the Huckins exhibited the best ride, it broke numerous hull stringers in the bilge.

In the end, the Navy ordered just one squadron of Huckins boats and they were immediately relegated to training and harbor patrol duties. In one testimonial I read, a trainee at the PT school at Melville, Rhode Island, complained bitterly about how lousy the Huckins boats were to operate and train on.

This was one time when Huckin's experience and reputation didn't help the company out.

Attachments

• PT-p56.jpg
    PT-p56.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 268
  • Huckins.jpg
    Huckins.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 590
Marin: Have you already posted this? Have CRS these days.

The National WWII Museum | New Orleans: Collections: Artifacts: PT-305

Haven't posted anything about it although I'm aware of it. I'm not a particular fan of the Higgins PT boats. I much prefer the Elco which was a better boat in a lot of ways. The story I am writing takes place on an Elco and all the vets I've interviewed were on Elcos. My wife and I have ridden on a restored Higgins, the one near Portland which is powered by its original type engines, the Packard 4M-2500. This was the main reason for going--- I wanted to hear, feel, and smell those engines in operation and learn something about running them. The Elco and Higgins PTs used the same type and number of engines although the engine arrangements in the hull were different.

TACONITE, mentioned elsewhere in this thread, is now for sale, USD $2,495,000 asking. For that price you get not one but two Atlas Imperial diesels!

4870766_20141107103623335_1_XLARGE.jpg

Details

Ron those guys must be very strong. Getting that hull up and out of the water should take some force.

Wonder how they achieve such good balance. I've ridden a recumbent bicycle and in that case it's just there.

QB what's "imperial" about the Atlas engines?

Rusty - I watched video. Looks like an OK boat. Seems a bit too open while still being somewhat cramped in sleeping/head area. Does the Brittish commenter's mention of "sharp drive" off engines mean "straight drive"? :confused:

It's says it's an outdrive in the blurb, the commentator says it's a sharp drive....

...in fact it's standard shaft drive/p bracket/ rudder/ inboard! :D:D:D

Ron those guys must be very strong. Getting that hull up and out of the water should take some force.

Wonder how they achieve such good balance. I've ridden a recumbent bicycle and in that case it's just there.

QB what's "imperial" about the Atlas engines?

I think being muscular, young, limber and durable have a lot to do with it. Give them guys another 40 years and they'll be wondering how they ever did it.

Wow, Sea Slice would be a bargain at $180,000 except it's beam is 55' which means no way to get it docked for any length of time... Imagine the cost to dry-dock it, since there is no other way to get it out of the water for service.

Also, draft is 11-14' so I guess that cuts out going to the Bahamas.
Featured Yachts for Sale | Pacific Coast Yachts

Looks a little big to single hand and too big for our boathouse. But I would love to take it out for a spin! :socool:

11000 gallons for fuel is ok, but only 400 water?! Of course one could swap out the two MTU's for a couple of outboards and get a futuristic live-aboard for pennies!

Interesting , but a 2 LW with only a small sail area don't think you would be going very far very often.
Not a bad looking boat all the same.

I posted these shots, which I did not take, back in 2010. Just came across them again in one of my computers and thought I'd put them up in "Interesting Boats."

My original post was called "Before Grand Banks there was......".

American Marine built a relatively small number of these wood, 34-1/2-foot boats in their original (Kowloon, Hong Kong) yard in the very early 1960s. While they have nothing design-wise in common with the company's Grand Banks line of boats that came from the same yard later, they very possibly may have started American Marine thinking about the future for this sort of cruiser. Single engine, displacement boats, American Marine called the line "Chantyman." There are a few of them here in the PNW.

The same shipwrights who built the Chantyman boats would have built the wood Grand Banks boats that came from the Kowloon yard starting in 1966.

Rather nice looking boat, I think. Designed by Hugh Angleman & Charles
Davies.

Attachments

• chantyman.jpg
    chantyman.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 220
  • chantyman%202.jpg
    chantyman%202.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
11000 gallons for fuel is ok, but only 400 water?! Of course one could swap out the two MTU's for a couple of outboards and get a futuristic live-aboard for pennies!

Larry - How mu$h U figure tho$e MTU'$ worth???

Last edited:
I posted these shots, which I did not take, back in 2010. Just came across them again in one of my computers and thought I'd put them up in "Interesting Boats."

My original post was called "Before Grand Banks there was......".

American Marine built a relatively small number of these wood, 34-1/2-foot boats in their original (Kowloon, Hong Kong) yard in the very early 1960s. While they have nothing design-wise in common with the company's Grand Banks line of boats that came from the same yard later, they very possibly may have started American Marine thinking about the future for this sort of cruiser. Single engine, displacement boats, American Marine called the line "Chantyman." There are a few of them here in the PNW.

The same shipwrights who built the Chantyman boats would have built the wood Grand Banks boats that came from the Kowloon yard starting in 1966.

Rather nice looking boat, I think. Designed by Hugh Angleman & Charles
Davies.

There is one here in Port Townsend.. old guy that owns it is 94.. no doubt it will be up for sale in the next few years..
He purchased it about five years ago and he and a couple other old guys of the same vintage took off on a voyage to see a fellow they all served with in WW2 that lives pretty far North on Vancouver Island.
It was quite the adventure as none of them had any real boating experience in the last 50 years or so. The entire adventure was straight out of a Hollywood movie.. if I recall one ended up in the hospital for something relatively serious.
I believe that boat has been tied up to his private dock and hasn't moved in a few years.

HOLLYWOOD

Marin I like that "Chantyman" and remember it from the past. The Chanty looks to be rather light and tall. Light and low would be much preferable. I much prefer your GB though both in looks and probable capabilities. Cute is a big part of the Chanty's essence whereas the GBs has a rather serious "sea boat" look about them.

I see they are two different boats. One has my favorite kind of FB and I wonder if that was a standard part of the design. Of course they all may have been close to a one off boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom