Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No reason to limit the edit feature... I guess; as long as only the OP person is only one who can perform edits. Never really thought about it.

I don't go back into my old threads for any reason other than to pull out a quote for a new post. Don't see reason to edit an old thread after certain amount of time. Might be nice to have the edit feature last a couple days rather than just a couple hours.

I imagine the shorter length of time for edit feature to be operable = the less bandwidth necessary to run the website???

There is a way to delete a comment you made. I know because I have deleted some of my comments.
Edit you comment, go to the bottom and you will find a block to delete it. Then go further down and you will find another block to delete. I dont know IF both blocks must be check 'delete' but, I do it. The comment goes away completely. "Try it, you'll like it."

Last edited:
Barring that, just edit, delete everything and type in something like, "Comment deleted by contributor." The forces in-charge will eventually catch up with it.

True... But, why have tunnel prop designs not become more often utilized???

Just from looking at boat plans with the tunnel stern, I would have to say cost.

True... But, why have tunnel prop designs not become more often utilized???

My guess is that overhead engine room space would be very tight, as there's less hull depth to play with.

Did you notice how 'open' the saloon was in the photo's? I'm thinking that has to do with the huge access hatches needed to work on the engine. Not a big issue for me because the increase in areas we could both boat and anchor would easily offset an engine room with little overhead space. Would still want full side access though.

They might also have a snap roll even worse than a hard chined boat. Again not a huge issue for me because on heavy wind days we sneak into a protected spot, anchor up, and usually go hiking.

Last edited:
With that shallow draft, in heavy seas you'd be sucking in a lot of air, waves surge back and forth, that sorta thing?

With that shallow draft, in heavy seas you'd be sucking in a lot of air, waves surge back and forth, that sorta thing?

It does need to be a shallow draft ..... I am guessing but, sucking air is about equal to an inboard. I saw it happen on an oiler in the Navy. We were refueling in heavy seas. I really felt sorry for the folks on that oiler... The wave action was a such that at times we could see under the beam and then, back side of a wave, bury the bow and raise the stern. I'll bet it was a bit difficult for the throttle man for it wasn't too comfortable for us on a 1944 destroyer.

It does need to be a shallow draft ..... I am guessing but, sucking air is about equal to an inboard. I saw it happen on an oiler in the Navy. We were refueling in heavy seas. I really felt sorry for the folks on that oiler... The wave action was a such that at times we could see under the beam and then, back side of a wave, bury the bow and raise the stern. I'll bet it was a bit difficult for the throttle man for it wasn't too comfortable for us on a 1944 destroyer.

Wow!!... 1944!!!

Yea, I was born in 43 and on the destroyer in the late 60s

We will now return to the subject; tunnel hulls and shallow drafts.

OH... I'd taken that date in a different way. Misunderstood!

Another guess on my part, but the weight and speed of the vessel might 'push' water up into the tunnel even when the prop is actually above water...up to a point, obviously.

Last edited:
Another guess on my part, but the weight and speed of the vessel might 'push' water up into the tunnel even when the prop is actually above water...up to a point, obviously.

Yes. I've been looking for an article I read about tunnel sterns. When at rest, the prop can be half out of the water. Once the prop starts turning and the boat starts to move forward a pressure wave (for the lack of a better term) builds and rises up into the tunnel and fills it.

Atkin & Co. - Twinkle

Here’s one.

Attachments

• D92825FD-3F0A-4B40-94B0-C0987FA4BDE6.jpg
    D92825FD-3F0A-4B40-94B0-C0987FA4BDE6.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 91
This one cruised by me earlier. Any clue on this beauty.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 69
Yes. I've been looking for an article I read about tunnel sterns. When at rest, the prop can be half out of the water.
That's gotta make for some interesting noises when anchored. Kinda like chine slap?

Waterline 53 steel hull

Used to have Perkins 6.354s in a TT but not familiar with the Perkins T1004s. They have 5000 hours on them so should be a decent engine.
Not familiar with Waterline Yachts which seems to be more into steel hull sailboats. Anyway, this Waterline 53 seems to be well set up for crossing oceans if you are okay with paravanes and a range of 4000NM is claimed. Looks like a real tough cookie.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/waterline-53-3576139/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• waterline.jpg
    waterline.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 60
Used to have Perkins 6.354s in a TT but not familiar with the Perkins T1004s. They have 5000 hours on them so should be a decent engine.
Not familiar with Waterline Yachts which seems to be more into steel hull sailboats. Anyway, this Waterline 53 seems to be well set up for crossing oceans if you are okay with paravanes and a range of 4000NM is claimed. Looks like a real tough cookie.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/waterline-53-3576139/?refSource=standard listing

Gnarly.

My wife would L-O-V-E that fireplace!

Where to stow the firewood.

We had a small fireplace on Volunteer.. it would cook you out in a hurry and it looked great.. but firewood was a P.I.T.A.

It looks like a great boat.. love the paravanes

HOLLYWOOD

Don't know anything about Bahi. She spent the first 12 years in Florida. She is now in Michigan. I have to go get her from the other side of the state. I am going to be using her on the Great lakes.

That is one cool boat, I like it big time. If I lived anywhere near MI I’d help you bring it back. Perkins 4-236 is a great engine.

That is one cool boat, I like it big time. If I lived anywhere near MI I’d help you bring it back. Perkins 4-236 is a great engine.

Bit confused here - Although I've not had time to fully research the link... Photos show Cats. What's up with the Perkins 4-236 you mention???

Lots stowed on BC’s beaches.

LOL
So you being a gentleman will hold the dingy, at first light, so wife and go ashore and get fire wood? When she gets back, you will hold the dingy while she offloads the fire wood and stows, in convent stove lengths.
What a guy. I am proud of you.
LOL

LOL
So you being a gentleman will hold the dingy, at first light, so wife and go ashore and get fire wood? When she gets back, you will hold the dingy while she offloads the fire wood and stows, in convent stove lengths.
LOL

Don't forget to include in the dink... ax, hatchet, machete as well as chainsaw with ample gas, oil and files. Oh yes, a leather fabric dual handled wood carry pouch is in order too! :dance:

Bit confused here - Although I've not had time to fully research the link... Photos show Cats. What's up with the Perkins 4-236 you mention???

Look up the link in Ocean Stars post and go to it. Says Perkins 4-238, no such thing. 236 yes. Look at engine room pic, engine is white and its a 4-236

LOL
LOL

Don't forget to include in the dink... ax, hatchet, machete as well as chainsaw with ample gas, oil and files. Oh yes, a leather fabric dual handled wood carry pouch is in order too! :dance:

You guys lack vision...

Imagine if you will, being able to stay anchored out in a remote anchorage for an extra couple weeks because you haven't wasted precious diesel on keeping the boat warm. That, and knowing my wife is happy when I'm out hiking/photographing in the pouring rain.

Nothing like the penetrating warmth and sound of a crackling wood fire with torrential rain drumming on the roof :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom