The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some electrical upgrades.
angus99

Some electrical upgrades.

Angus, looking at this wiring picture brought back a memory of a couple years ago. On the way to Alaska, my Xantrex 2.5 kw inverter just stopped. Wouldn't invert or charge the batteries. Dead. I got tied up at the next available marina and discovered that the red Blue Seas switch, just like yours, had partially melted on the inside. This was hard to trouble shoot since the switch looked fine on the outside and wasn't suspect of causing the problem. Anyway, what's needed for this application is a bigger switch that will carry more current safely. Blue Seas makes a gray switch that looks just like your red one only bigger and higher capacity. That's what I'm using now.

Ken. Hatt. Trick

Ken, thanks a lot for the heads up. I'll make that part of my regular maintenance check with the infrared gun. And if I detect any unusual heat, I'll replace it. I wonder what kind of load you might have been pulling on that circuit? The switch is designed for up to 350 amps; I thought the 300-amp fuse would have blown before the switch could have been damaged.

Media information

Album
angus99' Photos
Added by
angus99
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back