Weebles - Day in Cruising Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That Seapiper looks an awful lot like a Nordhavn 35. Either way, your point about not needing an expedition yacht is a good one.

Cruising is definitely a participation sport. Hopefully all that work keeps us young. Your posts are always entertaining and interesting. Keep them coming.

A couple years ago, Sea Piper was a frequent advertiser on TF. Base price was $169k. I see they've stretched to 37-feet but no word on base price.

https://www.seapiperboats.com/

Looks like it needs some awnings for at-anchor, but otherwise well-suited for day-hops. We're about 1500 nms into our journey and have spent just a few overnights on the trek thus far. To say we pick our weather is an understateent. Tomorrow is forecast at 4-ft at 13-seconds. Wind Gusts (vs just winds) are more accurate forecasts on Windy, but still, at 12-15 nm/hr, not much to worry about.

For us, cruising is a lifestyle decision. It's not about the boat. Sail,Power, Big,Small. Whatever. Like the Sea Piper, we need to be cautious with the weather.....and pick the season for transit. But it's very feasible to cover long distances however we have to be more careful (much more careful) than if we were in an expedition class trawler yacht. While we don't consider ourselves to be 'camping,' I suppose many would. All I can say is we're having a great time and our little Willard 36 suits us well.

Peter

We are 20 nms south of Zihuatenejo, halfway to the anchorage for the night.

We were getting knocked hard by a northbound current that cleaved 1.5-2.0 knots of boat speed. Modest wind against crested some mild chop. Decided to move closer to the beach to see if we could snare a counter-current which appears to have worked.

We are about 5/8s mile off the beach in 100 feet of water. The beach is entirely remote and deserted for many, many miles - at least 20.

Peter

Attachments

• 20240214_120342.jpg
    20240214_120342.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 22
I am surprised you didn’t stop and anchor in Zihuatanejo Bay. Google Maps satellite view shows a couple of dozen boats anchored on the west side of the bay, so it must be possible.

We have been there twice, once on a cruise ship 30 years ago and another 10 years ago by plane where we stayed at a small inn overlooking the bay. The difference in development between the two visits was remarkable and I am sure the development has continued.

Overall, quite charming.

David

I am surprised you didn’t stop and anchor in Zihuatanejo Bay. Google Maps satellite view shows a couple of dozen boats anchored on the west side of the bay, so it must be possible.

We have been there twice, once on a cruise ship 30 years ago and another 10 years ago by plane where we stayed at a small inn overlooking the bay. The difference in development between the two visits was remarkable and I am sure the development has continued.

Overall, quite charming.

David

It's a beautiful anchorage and we really thought about staying there for a couple days. But we spent 6 days in Marina Ixtapa which was super easy to grab a bus to Zihuatenejo - they run every 5-10 mins for $17 pesos ($1 USD) or so - which we did four days.

Marina Ixtapa, like Marina Mazatlan, was a planned community by Mexicos tourist agency Fonotaur. Governments rarely make the best decision but they do sometimes get lucky. Both developments had grand plans but have not been maintained over the years. But they are well positioned and frankly, affordable. Our stay at Ixtapa was $40/night all-in. And it was easy to get around. So we used it as our staging place for Zihuatenejo

A couple pictures. From afar, looks beautiful. But when you get near the decay is clear. The tower is at risk of toppling.

Peter

Attachments

• 20240209_092453.jpg
    20240209_092453.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240209_203037.jpg
    20240209_203037.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 15
A couple pictures. From afar, looks beautiful. But when you get near the decay is clear. The tower is at risk of toppling.

Peter

Maintenance on land is as important as maintenance on the sea.

Underway after 5 days in Acapulco Bay. One of the nav apps I use is iNavX and I see it gives position coordinates that are easily emailed.

Current location HERE. Chugging along at 6.7 kts at 1600 RPM on the Perkins 4.236 75hp Methuselah that seems intrepid as can be. Seas are calm with a 3-foot 14-second swell from starboard quarter. Gorgeous.

Anchored in a small bay just off Acapulco Bay. Anchor felt like it was dragging ever so slightly so we decided to move. Turns out we'd picked up an old panga mooring. 2-inch poly line.

For those in southern California, you have a pretty good idea of what anchoring in Mexico is like. Open roadsreads. Swell. Sometimes tight anchorages. Every region has their own challenges but Mexico seems prone to rolly anchorages, especially when the wind stops around midnight and the lies bean-ro the swell. Will toss you out of the bunk. Although I rarely see them down here, flopper stoppers seem like standard equipment and I'm glad I have them. The alternative is setting a stern anxhor.

Vittles. Last night I made pizza. I was going to make it a few nights ago but when I opened the new sack of King Arthur flour we brought down, of had become a big colony even though the unopened bag was stored in an airtight Rubbermaid container. So I found some flour at a grocery in Acapulco and tried making Sicilian style pizza. Pretty dang good if i do say so myself.

We have coffee early - especially early this morning as we hauled anchor at 7am which is barely daybreak here. Breakfast is either some cereal and milk, or a fruit smoothie. Lunch will be leftovers if some sort. Cheryll made some beef in stroganoff a few days ago, or perhaps some Thai curry I made a couple days ago. If course, there's always the pizza......

Next stop is Puerto Escondido which will be tomorrow morning after a 26 hour overnight run. We'll go to a marina near Huatulco on Saturday and stay there for at least a week so we can travel inland to Oaxaca which is sort of a bucket list destination for me. I enjoy cooking and am fascinated by Mexican cuisine. Oaxaca is the epicenter of many complex dishes including mole.

In a couple weeks we'll mosey across T-Pec to Chiapas where Muirgen (SlowGoesit) is now, though I think they are departing in the next day or so.

We originally planned to leave Weebles in Costa Rica for the summer and return in the fall to continue south through the Las Perlas islands, Panama Canal, San Blas Islands, and the Bocas del Toro islands. Turns out Costa Rica is damn expensive - Weebles' 36-foot length would be at least $1400/mo, and that assumes they have a small slip available. One place only has 45-foot slips so cost would be close to $2k/mo. Lot of dough to store a boat.

So Plan A is now El Salvador. There's a small resort in a river called Bahia del Sol that has a small marina and we'll serviced moorings. A fellow Willard owner told me about this place over 20 years ago and I've wanted to go ever since. The bar crossing is apparently tricky so they send a panga out to guide you in. Sounds exciting.

I've been posting pictures to our Instagram account MVWeebles if anyone is interesting. Couple short videos too (sea turtle checked us out in Acapulco Bay).

Peter

Attachments

• 20240220_133247.jpg
    20240220_133247.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240220_180439.jpg
    20240220_180439.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 21
We just arrived in Puerto Escondido hoping to anchor despite the meh reviews on Active Captain. Turns out it's a meh anchorage. Pangas have filled in the decent places, and there is a lot of deep water. Leaves anchoring off the beach in the open as an alternative which doesn't sound enticing.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=position@15.83401585,-97.06685291

So we'll head 25 nms south to another anchorage.

We departed Marques, an anchorage just outside Acapulco Bay, yesterday around 7am. According to our Coastal Explorer track. We did 167 nms in 25.5 hours for an average of 6.57 kts, though we had between 1/4 it to 1/2 ky favorable current pushing us. Cruising RPM is 1600 which is hopefully around 1.1 gph.

All running well. Several minor glitches on the fix-it list but nothing that keeps me up at night.

Peter

Attachments

• 20240222_101856.jpg
    20240222_101856.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 16
" Turns out Costa Rica is damn expensive - Weebles' 36-foot length would be at least $1400/mo, and that assumes they have a small slip available. One place only has 45-foot slips so cost would be close to $2k/mo. Lot of dough to store a boat.

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too popular"
--Y. Berra

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too popular"
--Y. Berra

I always loved that quote. I think he said it about the Hamptons.

Getting ready to haul anchor this morning.

Here's our current location.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=position@15.66513287,-96.49344496

For us, there are two important pieces of equipment for comfortable anchoring along the Pacific Coast open roadsteads, one of which we do not have. Flopper Stoppers (or some flavor of at-anchor stabilization); and an easily deployed stern anchor (we have spare anchors but not easily deployable).

We now routinely set both sides of our flopper stoppers. We had been going with just one for ease, but adding the second one definitely helps a bunch. Part of the issue is the line I used to rig them is too stretchy so it really needs the second flopper stopper.

Apologies for the rotated picture. I understand there is a fix for this, but really TF developers: this has been an ongoing issue for some for a long time.

Stern anchor. Separate topic/thread as it's rare in the US except for those who anchor in tidal rivers. My current thinking is a smallish single piece anchor (vs a Danforth style) around 8kg with 2m of 1/4" chain and 150' of 1/2" braid all stored in an insulated shopping bag like Costco sells. Easy to store, easy to repack. I'd love a reel of webbing but they are dang expensive in the US, plus I don't have a great place to mount it though I suppose I could figure out something.

Peter

Attachments

• 20240223_071551.jpg
    20240223_071551.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240223_071605.jpg
    20240223_071605.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Peter
A good writeup on El Salvador for cruisers is:

carmody-clan.com in October 2020 Yachting World magazine (not a link so look it up)

Thanks Sunchaser. Good blog post. We are really looking forward to our stay in El Salvador.

Thought I'd post a full moon a' rising and hope there is no trouble on the way. We anchored four times today, but I'll save the story for tomorrow. I just didn't like the places so kept moving. I'll tell you, anchoring on the other side of nowhere tests me.

Peter

Attachments

• 20240223_190027.jpg
    20240223_190027.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom