Trunk cabin/head wire routing on 1972 36 classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrandWood

The original ceiling lights are not connected, or no power. Previous owners added their own lights on the walls when they had the boat rewired. Originals in the saloon/galley work fine and are led. I pulled the light out of the head and the wires are connected or strapped down somewhere in the headliner. Just hoping someone might know where they were routed, I’m guessing they went down into engine room, just not sure where they descend down. Thanks

Do you have a wire tracing tool/ringer? Put that on the ends of the wires you can get to, and trace the beeping. It's usually best to disconnect the wires at one end when doing the testing, so you don't 'ring out' the whole circuit.

If it's anything like the salon ceiling lights in my Eastbay 47 you'll have some head-scratching routing going on.

What you'd probably want to do is check the pillars near the doors, where the switches are/were located. The previous owners might have just bypassed/disconnected the wires to the lights from there and left them. Don't know if they had/used dimmers in the '76 but the DRSA ones in my 2005 were oddly set up. I had to run a new negative wire from new dimmers, as the old DRSA circuit didn't have a separate negative.

Do you have a wire tracing tool/ringer? Put that on the ends of the wires you can get to, and trace the beeping. It's usually best to disconnect the wires at one end when doing the testing, so you don't 'ring out' the whole circuit.

If it's anything like the salon ceiling lights in my Eastbay 47 you'll have some head-scratching routing going on.

What you'd probably want to do is check the pillars near the doors, where the switches are/were located. The previous owners might have just bypassed/disconnected the wires to the lights from there and left them. Don't know if they had/used dimmers in the '76 but the DRSA ones in my 2005 were oddly set up. I had to run a new negative wire from new dimmers, as the old DRSA circuit didn't have a separate negative.
Thank you Kearney, I don’t have that tool but will search and pick one up. Light switch is on the light itself, boat is a 1972 36 woodie, old gal, so be some searching I’m sure, thanks again

The wire tracing tool is a good suggestion.

In my 1973 GB there are wiring distribution points located in various places in the boat, often inside the closets in the cabins.

You might want to take a look in your cabin's closet to see if there is a wooden panel you can unscrew. Mine are in the ceiling of the closets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom