Repower update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ask the guy to take a poll and see how many boats have Cummins and how many have Cats. Nothing wrong with Cats but I believe that Cummins would walk away with a numbers in boats comparison.
I thought he was kidding with the cat in the picture.

Ted

Yes it was totally a joke about the cat in the photo. Bouy the dock cat comes with our slip.

Got the new props on and just have a few electrical bugs to chase down and some exhaust tinkering before launch on Tuesday. This has been quite a project and I am very glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel. To sum it up.
Engines, Props and other parts. $25,000
Yard Fees and Professional Services $2,500
Misc. Things nuts bolts sealant. $1,500. My time. 120 hours
Helper time 80 hours
I don't think I could have done it any cheaper. Overall pretty happy with how it went.

Very impressive! I would have pegged a repower like that at $100k? Even if you value your and your helper's time at $100/hr you're less than 1/2 that! Very well done.

Someone here in San Diego is selling a pair of 7000 hour 3208's for $19k/each!

I hear you on the engine prices! This was made possible by a person not checking their shore power plug. A faulty plug caused a fire that totaled a number of boats. A friend bought one of the damaged boats from the insurance company. He wanted a bunch of gear off it but not the running gear. I bought the low hour 6btas, ZF gears, props and a few other odds and ends for 25k. We went through the engines, tested everything, serviced the coolers etc... while they were out of the boat. Removal and transport were included in the price. He got the gen set, tanks, stainless davit and thrusters. I doubt he paid more than 25k for the boat and owns a big demolition company so disposal of the shell was nothing for him. The stars really aligned for me on this one and I seriously doubt I could ever find the set of circumstances that made this posssible again. Even the yard was a deal. The marina company where I moor just opened a new DIY yard and offered 50% off all yard services for moorage customers to promote it. They ran that special for exactly two weeks before they were overwhelmed and withdrew the promotion. I hope nobody reads this and thinks "I could do that". If I tried to do the same repower today I have no doubt it would cost twice as much.

Every now and then you fall into a smoking deal. Glad it worked out for you.

Thats great. Amazing performance. 7.4 kts at 1000 rpm is impressive. Would be nice to know the fuel burn at that rpm. That quite a capable boat now with a broad operating range.

According to my old and glitchy floscan it was 2.4 GPH at 1000 combined. That is pretty close to the prop demand curve for the engines. at 1500 I was reading 4.5. I don't trust that as it is well below the demand curve. Above 2000 my old meter just starts fluxuating so much it is a guess. My experience with the Detroits is that under 2000 RPM it is pretty close. We rarely ran over 1750 so I never fixed it. I may need to, to save myself from bankruptcy. I know at high RPM these Cummins get thirsty fast! As we mostly cruise at displacement speed and only run on plane when trying to beat a tide or save our marriage by getting to shore before someone pukes I think we will be very hapy with the motors.

According to my old and glitchy floscan it was 2.4 GPH at 1000 combined. That is pretty close to the prop demand curve for the engines. at 1500 I was reading 4.5. I don't trust that as it is well below the demand curve. Above 2000 my old meter just starts fluxuating so much it is a guess. My experience with the Detroits is that under 2000 RPM it is pretty close. We rarely ran over 1750 so I never fixed it. I may need to, to save myself from bankruptcy. I know at high RPM these Cummins get thirsty fast! As we mostly cruise at displacement speed and only run on plane when trying to beat a tide or save our marriage by getting to shore before someone pukes I think we will be very hapy with the motors.

3nmpg at 7.4kt - that's pretty good, particularly when combined with that top end capability!

Now you just need to get out there and start accumulating miles so you can pay for the swap with your fuel savings :)

Back
Top Bottom