89 Mainship Outboard help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soopsoop

I found a beautiful 1989 Mainship Meditereenan nearby where Im at in Florida.
What I want to do is mount a outboard motor something small just to move the boat around ...

I see how it would mount too a swim platform .. But what about the steering ?

Is this something common that a boat shop can do ? Interested because I want to put this on a mooring ball and solar panels this thing for a night getaway spot

Install a hydraulic steering ram on the outboard and tie it into the boat's existing steering system in place of the steering ram for the existing rudders. Baystar is a popular line of steering systems for smaller outboards. I would just secure the rudders on centerline. The Mediterranean model has a planning style hull so it is pretty deep at the stern so the outboard prop will be pretty quick to cavitate if you manage to get moving close to the hull speed, so there is no sense in putting a very big outboard on it.

I would be concerned about obtaining insurance for the boat if the inboard engines are inoperable and boat yards are unlikely to welcome the thing into their premises without insurance, so be sure to sort all of this out beforehand.

If you plan to only move it occasionally,, what's the problem with the present engine/s.??..>>>Dan

The marina I bought my boat at had a 42ish footer sun deck boat with twin 9.9 hp outboards mounted to the swim step. That way once a year he could leave the marina under his own to satisfy the marina rules. He would never be able to get anywhere against any current or wind.

At least being dockside he had access to pumpouts and fresh water.

Last edited:
So you intend to just allow the engine/s to rust away with non-use,, seems like a detriment to the value of the boat at the least and scary to control at best..>>>Dan

Welcome aboard. That boat has a lot of windage. With a small outboard you wil be able to go everywhere, as long as it is downwind or down current.

Is the main engine broke?

Throttle for the outboard at the helm further complicated if you have duel helms.
I think the normal ships’ rudder still steer the boat, just lock down the outboard so it cant move port, stbd
Next the gear shifter at the helm station. That’s going to be a challenge.

If you are in close quarters, hire service to do a hip tow.

Basically, unless the boat is designed for outboards, it will be a jury rig.

Just put a bracket on the platform, pop the motor on, 6 gallon tank on a 6 foot hose, pull the cord and you're good to go.

Steering, just get one of those extended tillers and drive from the stern.

I think the OP is asking the wrong crowd...

I see marine construction crews routinely move pile driving barges around with very modest outboards, they know what they are doing and pick their weather windows wisely, they also are not attempting to cruise on pile driving barges, they may only move them once a week and stay busy in a small area that rarely requires traveling long distances. I see the OP's intended use as a similar application.

What the average trawler owner agrees is reasonable and prudent doesn't seem to align with the OP's plans. I have my opinions about whether this is a good plan for ownership and responsible stewardship but doubt the OP cares to hear them.

Thinking about it, the Mainship Mediterranean (express cruiser) models I've seen all have gas big blocks in them. Even if the current engines don't run, it likely wouldn't be terribly expensive to get them running. And even if the OP doesn't desire to move the boat all that much, it would certainly be far more capable with the inboards working than with a tiny outboard stuck on the swim platform.

I think the OP is asking the wrong crowd...

Just because you don’t get the answer you are loosing for doesn’t mean you should ask somewhere else until you get the answer you want. I would rather get the best answers than just confirming the wrong answer…

If you are set on that model there are a few with working engines for sale in Florida for the low $20's. One listing is $20k, and is 60+ days old. If you are just looking for a weekend getaway on the water there are probably better options than a boat without power, that you probably can't insure or dock at a marina.

If its only going to be moved once, to the mooring, then get seatow to do it.

There aren't a lot of mooring balls in New Smyrna. About the closest place probably Titusville.

The stretch of waterway just south and for a ways south of the southern bridge has/had a lot of permanently moored vessels there for years.

I could see someone hatching the OP's plan.

Not sure if worrying about 30+ year old gas engines is a big deal on resale.

As far as windage, depends on the model and canvas left up.... here's an '89 39 footer for example...

Attachments

• 1989-39ft-mainship-yachts-mediterranean-open-express-cruiser-4.jpg
    1989-39ft-mainship-yachts-mediterranean-open-express-cruiser-4.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 23
The stretch of waterway just south and for a ways south of the southern bridge has/had a lot of permanently moored vessels there for years.

I could see someone hatching the OP's plan.

Not sure if worrying about 30+ year old gas engines is a big deal on resale.

As far as windage, depends on the model and canvas left up.... here's an '89 39 footer for example...

You have yet to solve 2 problems.
Dumping you black water tank. They catch you pumping ONE time and you will be searching for a new boat. I have no idea what the fine and jail time. They do have a service around Ft Launderdale that will come and pump your black water tank but, dont know the price.
Water? You may be going ashore to fill jugs.
There also may be time limit you can stay on the mooring ball and or on you anchor.

Last edited:
Do you have a dinghy? How are you getting on and off the boat? Stand up paddle board? If you have a dinghy use it to tow the boat to the ball. No?

You have yet to solve 2 problems.
Dumping you black water tank. They catch you pumping ONE time and you will be searching for a new boat. I have no idea what the fine and jail time. They do have a service around Ft Launderdale that will come and pump your black water tank but, dont know the price.
Water? You may be going ashore to fill jugs.
There also may be time limit you can stay on the mooring ball and or on you anchor.

Hope you are not asking me.

This guy might think like the hundreds of other mooring ball/anchored vessels around Florida and other states that never move.

Looking for a cheap place to live that does not require mowing the lawn..>>>Dan

IMO It takes one or two black water tank incidents to give all live aboard a bad name.

IMO It takes one or two black water tank incidents to give all live aboard a bad name.

Well, considering how many derelict boats have been dumping overboard for decades, no surprise many towns want to eliminate liveaboards.

At least the Florida Keys got federal/state grants to set up free pumpout boats that come to your anchorage on a scheduled weekly basis to help the issue. Probably an on again off again thing as grants expire.

Back
Top Bottom