37 nordic stateroom water leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamesorr

I have a 37 nordic that is getting water in the stateroom. I have caulked cleats, chain locker, railing base ans still get water under the. Bed in the Bo’s. I have a bow thruster but it does not appear to be leaking.
I’m out of ideas- anyone have an idea ? I’m getting about a cup and a half of water during s one week trip.

If there is a connection between the on-deck windlass area and the location beneath your bed where the water is showing up ---

An area not unique to NT, is the bolting arrangement of the deck to the windlass. You might consider lifting and rebedding the windlass, sampson post and any other attachments in that area. Check the deck to insure no water intrusion into the core. If yes, the deck area will have to be "rebuilt."

If you have an anchor locker, check that water from that area is not moving to the show up location.

Last edited:
I have a 37 nordic that is getting water in the stateroom. I have caulked cleats, chain locker, railing base ans still get water under the. Bed in the Bo’s. I have a bow thruster but it does not appear to be leaking.

I’m out of ideas- anyone have an idea ? I’m getting about a cup and a half of water during s one week trip.

Don’t drink anything an hour before bed.

There is a cable channel that runs from the top of the chain locker down under the bed where the windlass relay is located. If you have leakage around the windlass I could imagine it finding its way down that channel.

Different boat and much older but I was getting water into the Vberth soaking the cushions on occasion.
THis is just what I did so yours may be different but likely some of my thoughts may be useable.
I finally pulled all the chain out laying it on the deck with a tarp between it and the chain.

I found the fiberglass was of questionable layup and the drain and its fitting were improperly sealed.

I sanded and smoothed the rough glass work. Not pretty but just to be workable.

I opened the locker drain hole to accept a 1/2" flat faced through hull into the bottom of the chain locker, then epoxy sealed, including some glass, the bottom of the locker and into the fitting recess sealing the wood.
I also epoxy glassed up about 4" above the locker bottom.

THen I could mount and seal the through hull so it was flush with the locker bottom. I could then attach the drain hose to lead the water away.

I should mention that I cut the flange of the through hull down to reduce its diameter to just what was needed to effect a solid and leak proof mounting.
I have an old lathe so was able to do that reduction. HOwever, ask around the marina as some other owners may be able to do this or approach a small machine shop, even some auto repair shops, to turn the head of the drain through hull down while keeping the taper.

No more leaks into the Vberth. Done about 2-3 yrs ago.

Yes, I had to do some cutting of the of the face area to gain access but I did the minimum needed to do the work in. And yes my hands were somewhat scratched up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom